Bernhard Stavenhagen 1862-1914

Started by giles.enders, Tuesday 24 July 2012, 12:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

Good luck with tracking it down. And even more with orchestrating it if and when you do. You will be doing Stavenhagen a great service.

declan.murphy

UPDATE: So I've managed to track the A major piano concerto down on the net eventually. It's literally the only place on the Internet too - it's the British Library. If you keyword Bernhard Stavenhagen, multiple results come up that you couldn't find anywhere. The five songs come up. Drei Clavierstucke op. 13 comes up. And of course the A major piano concerto comes up and i was really happy about it. However it is simply not orderable. Maybe my college library might be able to order it as inter library ordering is somewhat plausible given copyright restrictions and all that. But anyway, I've achieved the first step which is finding it

So... What now?

tpaloj

The digitization service at British Library has opened again recently, perhaps you can try putting in an order for the score. I ordered copies of music scores from them a few months back and got beautiful, color photograps in excellent quality.

Gareth Vaughan

Are you sure this is not the CD of Herr Link's horrible arrangement? That is the only listing for the A major concerto I found at BL.
I am sure your best bet would be to contact either Herr Dietrich Link or the record company.

sdtom

declan.murphy

Gareth I actually contacted ries and erler and they could only offer me what was in the public domain. And on the BL website in results on page 4 there was both Dietrich Links arrangement CD and the work for the piano concerto. Which I see here now is actually Link's arrangement. I've tried to approach the record company but they've changed their name since 1992 so who knows if that works. I've also tried to get into contact with volkmar Lehmann since he is the pianist who performed in the recording but I can't get any contact info on the Web (does anyone know it?)
It's a sort of semi victory for me I suppose since I've also found the 5 songs here (don't know what opus number)

tpaloj

Fleisher Library has this score: https://catalog.freelibrary.org/Record/1004813

Is this the work you're looking for...?

Gareth Vaughan

No indeed. That is the not the A major concerto. Besides, it comes with a full set of parts so why would anyone want to reorchestrate it?

Gareth Vaughan

Dear Declan,
I am sorry to disappointed you but having checked the BL record again I can assure you it refers to the sound recording only, which is why it is not orderable.

Gareth Vaughan

I see that a lady called Elgin Strub (a pianist) has written articles on Stavenhagen for the Liszt Society under the name Elgin Strub-Ronayne. It is possible that the Liszt Society may be able to put you in touch with her. Since Stavenhagen was a pupil and close friend of Liszt it is also possible she, or someone else at the Society, may know the whereabouts of the MS of the A major concerto. It would be worth asking.

declan.murphy

No tpaloj that's the B minor concerto and that's in the public domain. We're looking for a piano concerto in a major.

Thanks so much Gareth, for the reference. I'll take any leads I can.

Gareth Vaughan

Volkmar Lehmann was born in 1935, so he might be dead by now. He was a Professor at the University of Weimar, Hochschule fur Musik Franz Liszt (hfm.weimar). Here's  a possible lead: the pianist Iris Drengk studied with him in Weimar and is now herself on the teaching staff of the Hochschule. It is possible she has kept in touch with her old teacher and may be able to help you. Why not drop her a line?

declan.murphy

Yeah I was researching him but there aren't any indications that he's dead. I contacted one of his older students but I haven't heard back from him. I'll try her too though, thank you

Gareth Vaughan

Jonathan

Hi all, earlier on in the thread, I did mention Elgin's recording which was available via the Liszt Society. I've not spoken to her in a long time but she is still a member of the society.

Hope this helps.