News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Pierné Violin Sonata

Started by Alan Howe, Monday 01 June 2020, 12:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Many of you will no doubt know it already, but if you don't, do try Pierné's fabulous Violin Sonata (1900) which ought to be as famous as Franck's. I have it on a 2-CD set of the composer's chamber music (vol.1 from Timpani) played wonderfully by Philippe Koch and Christian Ivaldi. Its beauty is quite breathtaking throughout, with the violin often soaring in typically French fashion. Koch's playing is beautifully poised and tonally alluring. A winner of a piece with a performance to match.

Mark Thomas

I couldn't agree more, and I'm not generally a lover of either violin sonatas or fin de siècle French music. I have it on a less distinguished disc, played by Gaëtane Prouvost and Laurent Cabasso, but it's quality shines through. It's a wonderful work, rich in melody, harmony and imagination.

Double-A

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 01 June 2020, 12:39
Pierné's fabulous Violin Sonata (1900) which ought to be as famous as Franck's.

Goethe said it best:  Du sprichst ein grosses Wort gelassen aus!

I just followed your recommendation and listened to one of the 8 (5 in the version with flute)* recordings that are on IMSLP and I agree it is a very good sonata.  Thanks for the tip.  But Franck it is not quite.  Disclosure:  I may be biassed.  I have rehearsed and played the Franck and listened to Pierné just once.  Nonetheless,  Franck's themes are more characteristic and easier for the listener to follow, his four movements have each its distinct character and heighten their impact by contrasting each other as well as creating an overarching "storyline" for the whole work.

BTW the two sonatas seem to have quite a bit in common:  cyclic form, a recitative section (in different movements), Pierné's first movement looks to me as if he had wanted to create something similar to Franck's, the existence of a version for flute.  Deliberately?

*  None of these recordings are the ones recommended above; the sonata does not seem all that terribly unsung--at least in recordings.

Alan Howe

You're probably right. Franck's is a great masterpiece - which I love too. But the Pierné has a flavour all of its own which is not merely distinctive, but pretty well unique.

The composer studied the organ under Franck and succeeded him as organist at Saint Clotilde in Paris, so we shouldn't be surprised at the similarities you mention.

matesic

I had precisely the same thought as Double-A and Solenne Paidassi is playing exquisitely as I type. Songful, soulful and gentle are my first impressions. Definitely a piece that deserves further acquaintance and reclaiming from the flautists.

There seem to be so many fine French violinists, completely unknown on this skewered isle, but I don't think any have recorded the sparky little 1909 sonatine by Jean Huré.

eschiss1

that was either autocorrect on a bad day or - well, and - very funny...