Dora Pejačević series on BBC Radio 3 from last year, now broadcast a month ago

Started by eschiss1, Friday 05 June 2020, 13:38

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Here's a link to the first of the five broadcasts of what I think is a rebroadcast from last year iirc* (rather than a new series) of a Radio 3 Composer-Of-The-Week series devoted to Dora Pejačević. Members in the UK are aware of this, and since it was almost a month ago that it was broadcast, have been aware of this; I'm way across the pond and just found out, and thought I'd give a head-up to any fans** ( of her fine works who'd like to catch the series before it disappears in the next few days.

*I remember us discussing this at the time, I think. It began with her piano concerto then too, yes? Anyway, good stuff and 5 hours of it.
**Or potential fans!

eschiss1

In the first episode the scherzo of Pejačević's symphony is broadcast, and the claim that her symphony was the first Croatian symphony is turned around with some experts. The Sorkocevic sinfonias are mentioned, as are some examples from the 19th century, and F. Lucic from the same year as Pejačević. I thought for a moment we might have a broadcast of Lucic but I see I am confusing it with Gerbic, a -Slovenian- composer's symphony from 1915 (not 1917). Though we might have the Lucic and I just need to dive a little deeper :)

Ilja

Don't forget Ivan Zajc's programmatic Symphony in C minor, Op. 394 (!) of 1870 (Youtube), although he also referred to it as a "Symphonic Poem".