Max von Schillings(1868-1933): a Catalogue of the Orchestral Music

Started by Dundonnell, Friday 27 July 2012, 01:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Dundonnell

The "controversial" German conductor and music administrator did not write much music himself after around 1910. I have omitted the "Violin Concerto No.2" whose existence must be seriously doubted.

MAX VON SCHILLINGS: A CATALOGUE OF THE ORCHESTRAL MUSIC

1895:      Two Symphonic Fantasies for orchestra, op.6: 30 minutes
1897:     "Zwiegesprach" for violin, cello and small orchestra, op.8
1900:      Melodramas "Kassandra" and  "Das Eleuische Fest" for speaker and orchestra, op.9: 23 minutes        +   (Marco Polo cd)
               Symphonic Prelude to Sophocles' "Oedipus Rex" for orchestra, op.11:13 minutes    +  (Marco Polo and cpo cds)
1902/03:"Das Hexenlied" for speaker and orchestra, op.15    +   (cpo cd)
1905:      Rhapsody "Dem Verklarten" for baritone, chorus and orchestra, op.21
                "Glockenlieder" for voice and orchestra, op.22
1910:      Violin Concerto in A minor, op.25: 41 minutes    +   (Marco Polo cd)
1914:      Ballad "Jung Olaf" for orchestra, op.28
1915:      Suite from the Opera "Mona Lisa" for orchestra: 10 minutes
1917/33:String Quintet in E flat major for string orchestra, op.32a
              Piano Concerto "Ein Totentanz", op.37

mjkFendrich

The cpo CD with Schillings' Hexenlied also contains the following work:

1897:  "Zwiegespräch" (Dialog)  for Violin, Cello and Small Orchestra op.8

BerlinExpat

QuoteI have omitted the "Violin Concerto No.2" whose existence must be seriously doubted.

I have secured a copy of the 1934 Joachim Beck's catalogue of Max von Schillings' compositions. The last entry is op. 36 and there is no mention of either the Piano concerto, op. 37 or the Violin concerto in G minor, op. 38 that can be found on a few websites.

However, there are some additional pieces with orchestra which were not included in Dundonnell's original list and which may be of interest to users of the forum:
   Zwei Phantasiestücke für Orchester:
   1   "Dem Andenken seiner Mutter" (1883)
   2   "Aus dem Jahre 1890"   
   Incidental Music for Aeschylos' "Orestie", op. 12 (14 Pieces)
   Incidental Music for Goethe's "Faust, First Part", op. 24:
   1   Prolog im Himmel
   2   Oster-Chöre
   3   Szene vor dem Tor
   4   Geisterchor
   5   Szene im Dom
   6   Walpurgisnacht
   Festlicher Marsch, op. 27 (also for military band)
   "Hochzeitsklänge" - Waltz for Orchestra
   "Hochzeitslied", op. 26 for soprano, baritone, chorus and orchestra
   "Die Perle", op. 33 for soprano, tenor and orchestra
   4 Zwiegesänge aus dem "West-östlichen Divan" (Goethe), op. 34,
   for soprano, tenor and orchestra
   Various orchestral excerpts from "Ingwelde", "Moloch", "Mona Lisa"(extra to the suite) and "Der Pfeifertag".

giles.enders

The on line 'Museum of Music History' this month features Max von Schillings.  There is a link to a recording of Schillings conducting the Vorspiel to Mona Lisa dating from 1929.

FBerwald

I have always enjoyed his Violin concerto, Op. 25 and while reading this fascinating article on it came to realize that von Schillings wrote only 1 violin concerto and the revision [1st movement] later led it to be believed as a second work. As for the Piano Concerto - It seems a misattribution of Welhelm Kempff's own piano concerto, "Totentanz" Op. 37
More details here. https://repertoire-explorer.musikmph.de/prefaces/4639.html

FBerwald

Alan Howe

FBerwald

Then this too is misattributed to von Schillings as his elusive 2nd Violin concerto.

Alan Howe

Very odd. Toskey's encyclopedia has entries on Schillings' VC (no sign of a second concerto) and Kempff's VC. No misattribution, in other words.

FBerwald

What I mean is that in von Schilling's wiki page, the 2nd violin concerto is mentioned - Violin Concerto in G minor, op. 38, which seems more like Kempff's Violin Concerto Op. 38, following the piano concerto Op, 37 which is again, "Totentanz" Concerto in Suite form for piano, strings, percussion & mixed chorus, Op. 37. So possible misattribution reg, the 2nd violin concerto.

Alan Howe

Wikipedia can only be regarded as a guide in many cases. There are errors everywhere, so it's always good to check other sources of information. Anyway, I think Toskey has the correct details, so I suppose the question is how the misattribution took place.

Remember the non-existent Goldmark 2nd VC...?

eschiss1

Going to at least suggest a correction to the Wikipedia page. One difference between Grove and Wikipedia is that one can do more than just curse the darkness in the latter case. (Edit: I see this has been done.)  (Edit 2: No, it hasn't, because it's the German-language, not the English-language, Wikipedia that was and remains the problem. Got it.)