News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

More unsung Tchaikovsky

Started by JimL, Sunday 29 July 2012, 08:15

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

I just stumbled across the overture to the opera Cherevichki (The Slippers), a four act (I presume comic) opera, Op. 14.  Ab-so-lute-ly delightful overture, and totally unknown to me.  Anybody know anything about the rest of the opera?

petershott@btinternet.com

Ha! I devoted yesterday evening to listening to the complete opera extracted from the enormous 60CD box of Tchaikovsky, and now released by Brilliant Classics in a handsome little box containing 3 CDs. It is the Orchestra e Coro del Teatro Lirico di Cagliari, with Russian singers and conducted by Rozhdestvensky. The flimiest of librettos, but no matter for it is a delightful opera full of enchanting (and sometimes quite silly!) things. And - a curious price comparison - being a Brilliant Classics production it can be obtained for the same cost as a packet of fags.

By coincidence the set is reviewed on MusicWeb this morning.

Alan Howe

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Sunday 29 July 2012, 12:12
a packet of fags.

i.e. cigarettes, lest there be any misunderstanding across the pond...

petershott@btinternet.com

Ahem, there speaks a professional linguist fully sensitive to the nuances of language.

Oops, I am clearly the most innocent and naive of fellows! Dangerous things are words. Thank you for saving me from further ignominy.

Alan Howe

It's just that I have had funny looks from our US cousins when this particular word has come up in conversation.

JimL

I presumed it was a comedy.  I believe the play is by Gogol, who wrote mostly, if not all, comedies, not?

eschiss1

JimL

The history of how the word became American slang for male homosexual was recently recounted to me.  It isn't a pretty one.

Alan Howe

mbhaub

As a bassoonist, I get it all the time. I thought of personalizing my license plate as KFAG (contrabassoon) but sanity prevailed.  Watching the Olympics has been a real education in terms of British vs American terms. Flat. Lift. Hoover.

Ilja

In the meanwhile, returning to obscure Tchaikovsky: the BBC did a Tchaikovsky programme a few years back, in which they broadcast a wide array of unknown operas:
- Fragments from Dmitri the Impostor and Valery Shuishki (1867)
- Iolanta
- Vakula the Blacksmith (the ur-version of Cherevichki, IIRC, with Patricia 'Mrs. Bucket' Routledge as narrator)
- The Enchantress
- The Maid of Orleans
- Fragments from Undine
- The Voyevoda
In all, I was quite surprised by the quality of these, particularly Voyevoda and Vakula. A shame that only Onegin and Pikovaya Dama are ever performed (and the odd Mazepa).

JimL

Quote from: mbhaub on Wednesday 01 August 2012, 05:43
As a bassoonist, I get it all the time. I thought of personalizing my license plate as KFAG (contrabassoon) but sanity prevailed.  Watching the Olympics has been a real education in terms of British vs American terms. Flat. Lift. Hoover.
When I was a kid, back in me old pot-smoking days, hoover was synonymous with bogart (or humphrey).  :D

Alan Howe

hattoff

I managed to record a lot of the BBC Tchaikovsky week including Vakula the Smith which is excellent. It's not commercially available so it could, perhaps, be uploaded here but is long at 2hrs 23 mins.

chill319

Quotea packet of fags.
Quotei.e. cigarettes, lest there be any misunderstanding across the pond...

Yes. Here we would say a boatload of fags.