The music of Unno Klami (1900-1961)

Started by DennisS, Thursday 18 February 2010, 11:08

Previous topic - Next topic

petershott@btinternet.com

I am in your debt, Dennis! I have spent a wet Sunday morning avoiding drab Sunday newspapers and revisiting the wonderful music of Gosta Nystroem. This music is one of the hidden secrets of Sweden last century.
There are 6 symphonies: No 1 Sinfonia breve (1931); No. 2 Sinfonia expressiva (1935-37); No. 3 Sinfonia del Mare (1947-48); No. 4 Sinfonia Shakespeariana (1951-52); No. 5 Sinfonia seria (1963); No. 6 Sinfonia Tramontana (1965). Most are available on BIS conducted by Paavo Jarvi or B Tommy Andersson. I very much hope the BIS series will continue.
Asking 'which is your favourite?' is a question impossible to answer, for if I single out one, that suggests the others are somehow not so good - not at all the case in my view! But perhaps the distinctive sound world of Nystroem is best found in No. 3. There is a staggeringly good recording of that on Phono Suecia where it is coupled with the Prelude to the Tempest and the Songs by the Sea.
In addition to the symphonies there is a further BIS CD - compulsory acquisition! - of the 1941 Viola Concerto, the 1944 Sinfonia Concertante for Cello & Orchestra, and the earlier symphonic poem Ishavet (La mer arctique). There is a lot of the sea in Nystroem, and along with Debussy or Britten in Peter Grimes, Nystroem truly captures it (for many other composers with 'sea' references, a stroll by the sea might as well be a stroll through the woods).
And how to sum up Nystroem? One mark of a truly great composer is that they are so distinctive and utterly unlike anyone else (the same as with ladies!). However I came across a sentence in an enthusiastic review (by Rob Barrett, I think) on MusicWeb that gets close to it: "the tense romanticism of Hindemith's Harmonie der Welt mixed with a little Bartok (Concerto for Orchestra) softened with Ravel's tenderness". That's pretty good.
Good luck with it, and may your bank balance withstand the pursuit of Nystroem!
The two of us almost seem to have set up a Scandinavian sub-theme on this site. And no bad thing in my view.
Peter

DennisS

Hello Peter
sorry I haven't replied sooner but was very busy yesterday doing schoolwork (I teach French and German in High School). Sadly, no sign as yet of my Klami cd of his vc! I grow impatient! So, talking about Nystroem made you listen again yesterday to all your favourite Nystroem pieces. Listening to classical music on a miserable rainy Sunday is my idea of bliss! I have listened again to sound bites of Nystroem but regrettably, there are none of symphony no 3! No matter, I intend to order sym no 3 anyway, together with sym Shakespeariana and sym Tramontana, both of which sound very interesting from what I can tell; my sort of music as you well know! Yes, we do indeed seem to have set up a mini Scandinavian forum but I'm sure that is not the first time that that sort of thing has happened on "Unsungs". It's all part of exploring lesser known music, at least for me. I didn't realise that there were so many Scandinavian composers of real merit out there! Whilst searching on Amazon, I came across Eduard Tubin, an Estonian, who from 1944 onwards lived in Sweden for the rest of his life and there composed amongst other works his symphonies 6-10. It would not surprise me if you say you know his music! I have already ordered sym no 4 (lyrical), coupled with sym no 7, having first of all listened to extracts on Amazon : more music I really like! And I said, this year I would order less cds ..... !!! If you do know his music, what do you think of it. Also, if other members are familiar with Tubin, I would welcome their views as well.

Cheers
Dennis

Hello again, Dennis. Great fun to observe your travels around the Scandinavian countries! Tubin's music gives me huge satisfaction, and I don't hesitate in putting him up there with a handful of great but better known 20th century composers. The symphonies conducted by Jarvi on BIS were some of the first CDs I pursued when I got hitched up with a modest CD player in the mid 1980s (seems a long time ago since those first CDs arrived - and they've now spread up to the attic).

But Tubin is hardly unsung - at least on CDs if not in UK concert halls. We are fortunate indeed in having available two utterly excellent recordings of the 10 symphonies: Jarvi on BIS and Arvo Volmer on Alba. Both are wonderful and have been highly praised. I believe BIS repackaged all the Jarvi symphonies in one (presumably less expensive) box. However if you go down that route you'll then miss out on a great series of concertos - which (again a presumption) are probably not in the boxed set. They were originally coupled with many of the symphonies - and are indispensable to a good Tubin collection. One of them - the Concerto for Balalaika & Orchestra - is wacky but great fun!

BIS have also brought out two further sets: the piano music, and the works for Vn, Va & Pf. It is all very interesting and very distinguished music. With the orchestral music you'll be impressed by a wonderful virtuosity, orchestral mastery - and significance. This is music that stays in the head for days afterwards.

And (I hasten to add I don't want to read of you subsisting on dry crusts & plain water!) do also try two operas: Barbara von Tisenhusen and The Pastor of Reigi. Both masterpieces in my view.

There was considerable 'Tubin activity' around the centenary (of his birth) in 2005. Sadly things seem to have gone quiet since. 'Unsung' - thankfully not. 'Fully deserves to be sung' - absolutely!

Best wishes - and who will you discover next I wonder?!!!

Peter

DennisS

Hello Peter

I finally received my cd of Klami's vc yesterday! The wait was worth it! Although I have only listened to it once (but the 3rd movement twice!), you will not be surprised to learn that I am very, very impressed by the work, especially the 3rd movement, with its motor-like Prokofiev rythms - great fun, and the movement is over, it seems, scarcely before it's begun! I am going to listen to it again very carefully this weekend, when I am a bit fresher and can give the piece my total attention! I also bought the "Northern Lights" cd and have listened to it once! Again, I will be listening to it this weekend. I am now already mulling over what Klami cd to buy next! A couple of days again, I received my Tubin cd of the 4th and 7th symphonies. Have since listened to it twice and am very taken with his music. It's quite dramatic and also lyrical (the 4th lives up to its sub-title of "Lyrical", but the word that seems to best describe his music, for me at least, is "powerful"! Even the slow movements move on quite powerfully and there is tremendous energy and drive in his music. Another cd to carefully listen to this weekend! I will next order the cd of the coupling of symphonies Shakespeariana and Tramontana! Finally, I have also ordered  the cd of Nystroem's 3rd symphony and await its arrival with great impatience! Clearly, there are still a number of cds I have to order and yes, I might yet end up on a diet of bread and water!!!! I think I will try NOT to discover any more great Scandinavian composers, at least for the present! Thank you again for all your advice and recommendations! You have been very, very helpful.

Cheers
Dennis

DennisS

Hello Peter

I thought I would quickly update you on my impressions of Klami's vc, which I listened to again yesterday. In a couple of words "I've fallen under its spell"! I think it's a great vc and is firmly up there on my list of favourite vc's! I love everything about it, from the striking orchestral colour of the first movement (especially the interplay between the soloist and the orchestra), the almost achingly tender main theme of the second, to the motor-like Prokofiev rhythms of the third (shades there also of Shostakovich)! I think though that you already know how much I love the piece! I wonder if other members will share our opinion? Re- Tubin, I think his music is terrific and I'm already sorting out my next orders.

cheers
Dennis

Hello Dennis - very pleased to know your ears (and cognitive apparatus!) are in accord with mine! And it is reassuring: greater improbability in the two of us being quite batty than I alone! Very best wishes, Peter. And on with more discoveries and delights to come, eh?!

Joachim Raff

Here is a review of Klami's works from David Hurwitz. He is quite endeared to his music. I like his presentation and background information to the composer.  https://youtu.be/VmFzLEtBxcc

Alan Howe

I'm just putting this thread on hold as it predates UC's relaunch with our tightened remit.