The 5 symphonies of Grechaninov (1864-1956)

Started by DennisS, Friday 19 February 2010, 14:27

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

As a huge admirer of Russian music, I was intrigued when I came across Grechaninov, a one time pupil of Rimsky-Korsakov. I started with symphonies nos 1 and 2 and quite enjoyed listening to them. I then purchased the remaining 3 symphonies. All are very pleasant to listen to and all contain suggestions of Rimsky-Korsakov, Borodin and Tchaikovsky. My favourite is symphony no 5, which is perhaps the most reminescent of Tchaikovsky. Clearly his music is not however of the calibre of the previously mentioned composers but notwithstanding that comment, his music is nevertheless a nice mixture of the lyrical and the dramatic : interesting melodies, colourful and virtuoso orchestration. It should be pointed out though that all 5 symphonies are somewhat similar; Grechaninov stuck to what he considered a successful formula! In addition to the symphonies, Grechaninov composed a large number of works and is perhaps better known for his sacred music. What do other members think of Grechaninov's symphonic works?

Dennis

Alan Howe

Relatively pale, but enjoyable nonetheless. I am in the process of getting hold of Syms 2 and 3 myself.

Pengelli

Is anyone here familiar with the work of earlier Russian composers like Dargomijsky,for example. His opera's used to be available on Melodiya lp's. And there are others. I'm referring of course to composers before Tchaikovsky and the 'Mighty Handfull'! There are orchestral and choral works which all seem to be generally neglected & often very difficult or impossible to locate on cd,especially since the demise of the unmissed USSR, not to mention 'Collets' & the 'Russian Record Company'. I used to spend hours poring over the catalogues of the latter, (anyone remember them?),their catalogues were the sort of thing some companies produced before the advent of the internet,almost like small & very fat booklets. Yummy!

Pengelli

I think it should be Dargomyzhsky,actually;but without that much time on my hands right now,I haven't time to check much. Anyone?

Pengelli

To name another,what about,Yevstigney Fomin (1761-1800),composer of several opera's,who according to at least one site was 'incredibly famous' in his day;and I do remember some records of his music listed in the old Russian catalogues,mentioned above,including overtures,I believe,and at least one opera,I think. I will check,when I have more time. Also,we have Bortnansky,some of his 'choral works',having been recorded on the Chandos label;and,if I remember correctly,they were praised. As to Russian symphonies prior to Tchaikosky & the 'Five';that is another moot point,and possibly another grieviously neglected area?

izdawiz

I believe his String Quartets are underated. Very nice pieces of Art. from the top of the head I can think of a delightful disc by the Dutton Label which  includes Grechaninov's String Quartet #3 along with Lyapunov ' finely composed darkish-romantic Sextet, a gem. Thank you for the recomendation about his 5th  Symphony. I have his 1st & 2nd on Marco Polo Label but have not listen to in a while.. Thanks for the reminder <(",)>

DennisS

Hello Izdawiz

Please note that I made a typing mistake in my original posting. My favourite Grechaninov symphony should have read No 3 not symphony no 5! All the symphonies though are pleasant listening. All are, as I said earlier, very similar in style and composition. This can be either an advantage or disadvantage depending on what you expect from the composer!

Cheers
Dennis

wunderkind

Quote from: izdawiz on Saturday 20 February 2010, 19:26
I can think of a delightful disc by the Dutton Label which  includes Grechaninov's String Quartet #3 along with Lyapunov ' finely composed darkish-romantic Sextet, a gem. T

Agree - this could be the best CD Dutton has produced - the "best," that is considering the quality of the relatively obscure music it presents.  The Lyapunov Sextet is one of the glories of the chamber genre - and yet it's totally unknown.  As for Grechaninov - his Symphonies are wonderful works, in my opinion, and need so much more exposure.  But that Lyapunov Sextet - it's a must hear if ever there was one.   

JimL

I have long been a fan of Lyapunov, ever since I picked up the Hyperion release of his two piano concertos and the Ukrainian Rhapsody.  I would rather count him a member of the "Mighty Five" than Cui!

mbhaub

I've been a fan of Grechaninov since the first Marco Polo release of symphonies 1 & 2. But as revelatory as the recording was, I knew something was missing, and the music could be played better. Chandos to the rescue, as is so often the case. Their set is much better played and recorded, but alas, I think Grechaninov got worse as he went on. His 1st is still the most Russian sounding, the 5th barely so at all to my ears. A few years ago, our excellent Phoenix Bach Choir recorded the Passion Week for Chandos and it is a beautiful work that anyone with an interest in Grechaninov should certainly hear.

But to Dennis' original thought: I too am a tremendous lover of Russian music, and it's so incredibly frustrating that there is so little of it. If anyone lives in the St. Louis area, you should check out the upcoming season. They're opening with the Kalinnikov 1st! Then they're several Russian concerts. I wish I could be there next season.

Amphissa

I am not sure how we end up with a thread on Grechanninov and Russian composers before Tchaikovsky. But, as to the composers prior to Tchaikovsky, there just weren't many writing symphonic music. Opera was all the rage during the Russian enlightenment (regin of Catherine).

The composer before Tchaikovsky that I think of first, of course, is Glinka. But there are a couple of others who have not yet been mentioned.

Some years ago, I acquired a CD of Kandoshkin's Sonatas for Violin Solo and Sentimental Aria for Violin Solo. Quite pleasant listening. Not in the same class with Bach's Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin, but then, what is?

I also came upon a CD of solo piano music by Alexander Alyabyev, who wrote primarily operas and is mostly remembered for being sent off to Siberia for 15 years when a fellow he had been gambling with all night "disappeared". The music seems more like salon music to me, or maybe better suited to bordello of the day, but a few of the works reveal evidence of his real talent and were apparently influential.

JimL

Don't forget Alexei Lvov, who composed the Russian national anthem so often quoted by Tchaikovsky and others.  He composed operas, operettas and a violin concerto.  There are probably several other works not listed in his Wiki.

Alan Howe

Lvov's VC is quite an expressive piece - well worth acquiring if you can unearth the Olympia CD.

Marcus

One of the earliest Russian symphonies in my collection is the Symphony no3 in E minor for 4 horns & orchestra, by A.Alyabiev (1787-1851) Fuga Libera FUG#539). It is a short lightweight work lasting a little over 8 minutes. It is more a sinfonia concertante for horns and orchestra.
The earliest symphonies written in Russia were written by M.Berezovsky (1740-77) written in 1770-72. The 3 Sinfonias Nationales a Grand Orchestra, (Ukrainian,Russian,Polish), written by Arnost Vancura (1750-1802), were published in 1786. Although he was born in Bohemia, he was a naturalised Russian, and lived  most of his life in Russia, and was on the staff of the Imperial Theatre in St.Petersburg. Fomin was an opera composer, but if he did write symphonies, (sinfonias ?), they would certainly preceed the work of Vancura.  Bortnyansky (1751-1825) wrote a Sinfonia Concertante in 1790. I believe Russia is probably like many other countries, with libraries full of dusty manuscripts awaitng rediscovery.
Re the Gretchaninov symphonies: I agree DennisS, they are enjoyable to listen to, but the composer does not seem to go anywhere. I prefer  Anton Rubinstein six, although they are more German than Russian, and I do not listen to them as often as I used to. Borodin was probably one of the best before Tchaikowsky became established.
Unlike Europe, Russia was not flush with many notable composers in the early & mid 19th century, and many resident composers & musicians were from Europe. . E. Napravnik (1839-1916), wrote Operas, Symphonies, chamber music & a Piano Concerto, (Hyperion CDA 67511), but apart from the Hyperion disc, is probably not represented in the catalogue, so who knows if any masterpieces remain to be unearthed   ? Like JimL, I am a Liapunov fan. The symphonies have that sombre Russian character.
A composer who is more noted for his piano music than ochestral, is Felix Blumenfeld. (1863-1931) His Symphony in C minor op39, "To the Glorious Dead", (Russian Disc #RDCD 11052), is reminiscent of I.Paderewski's Symphony in B minor,with the dark slavic idiom very evident.
Marcus

Pengelli

Thank you very much. Allot of information there. I shall print your post out. You mention Anton Rubinstein. Ok,his 'Ocean symphony' has it's detractors & maybe goes on a bit too long for it's own good,but I think that within it's own limitations it's actually a very fine work,beautifully orchestrated and full of memorable tunes. I remember getting it out of the library when I was a teenager,and all my contemporaries were into Kraftwerk,The Police,The Human League and stuff like that!!! It was the old Turnabout recording,by the way. In fact,I'm suprised Chandos haven't recorded it by now. His Fifth Piano Concerto is a tremendous piece. In fact,I can honestly think of allot of far worse composers than Rubinstein (and better!). Incidentally,I remember the other Rubinstein,Artur,had something rather witty to say about him;but I can't remember the exact quote at the moment. Finally,regarding,'The Demon'. I do think it's time some one brought out a new recording. Incidentally, I think Balakirev is a bit underated. I had the old Melodya LP with Svetlanov & lovely Russian lettering on the front (they had some very nice sleeve designs;although their box sets were a bit whiffy!).  The pressing wasn't exactly state of the art,but Svetlanov's conducting was quite magical. I remember there is a melody in one movement which is still one of the loveliest I've ever heard. even my father,who was never interested in music (he preferred art & reading) commented on how beautiful it was. As to Liapunov,I'm not so familiar with his work,but he sounds more interesting,at least to me anyway,than Gretchaninov (except for,maybe,his choral music).