Unsung Rachmaninoffian Piano Concertos

Started by kyjo, Sunday 05 August 2012, 04:46

Previous topic - Next topic

dhibbard

Wish we had a version of this on CD of Hannikainen's Piano Concerto... the 1957 recording on Finlandia is in mono and sounds typical of 1950s recordings.....

chriss

Quote from: Revilod on Tuesday 11 September 2012, 19:30
Scriabin's wonderful concerto is also in the Rachmaninov vein (especially the big tune in the finale).

Is there a recommended recording of the Scriabin concerto? I think I only know the old recording by Heinrich Neuhaus.

Ilja

Well, it's not unsung by any stretch of the imagination, but for me the Ashkenazy/Maazel recording on Decca is still the yardstick. I wouldn't call it "Rachmaninoffian" though as it predates the 2nd Concerto by four years.

I've seen Pabst being mentioned, but his concerto predates even the first concerto by a few years, so perhaps we should call these concerts "Pabstian"?...

Revilod

Yevgeny Sudbin's recording, coupled with Medtner's Third on BIS is outstanding among more recent versions. Listen to the way Andrew Litton shapes the melody of the slow movement.

chriss

Thanks for the recommendations! I ordered the Sudbin already yesterday after looking around and reading a number of reviews of fifferent recordings.

The Scriabin concerto may not be unsung but it is really Rachmaninoffian.

eschiss1

I'm a little surprised not to see the following works mentioned to date in this thread-

*de Greef's first concerto (or perhaps both)
*maybe Sauer's, not sure. (Hyperion ; Danacord) Will have to listen again and get back to you on that myself, actually.