Constantino Gaito on CPO

Started by jerfilm, Monday 06 August 2012, 02:47

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

I'm assuming this is a new release - Piano Trio, Piano Quintet and Cello Sonata, all pretty firmly entrenched in the Romantic style.  Available from Classics Online.

Argentina 1878-1945

Jerry

kyjo

I'm surprised that no one had mentioned this before, being a CPO CD of late-romantic music. I know most UC members have a preference for orchestral music (including myself), but still... ::) I was going to bring this up, but I thought I had done quite enough posting today (30 posts!) , but here I am again ;D. I've never heard of Gaito: what else did he write (any orchestral music?)? There aren't too many late-romantic Argentinian composers; the only other one I can think of is Alberto Williams, composer of 9 (!) symphonies of which the 7th has been recorded on CD. I'm a sucker for late-romantic cello sonatas (I'm an amateur cellist), so I'll put this on my want list (I'm sure I'll also enjoy the trio and quartet). Sorry for rambling ;)

EdwardHan

Gaito's two string quartets have been recorded too, and the second one, Op. 33 "Incaico", which used Native American melodies is quite interesting. The three works in this new CD are kind of conservative compare to that quartet, but contain some very fine ideas, and the cello sonata is my favorite too. Hope CPO can keep focusing on late-romantic Latin American music!

kyjo

I remember seeing the string quartets CD on Records International, but I had forgotten about it. Thanks for bringing it up, EdwardHan. So much listening to do, so little time... ;D

petershott@btinternet.com

Responses from fellow members to this new CPO?

Always positively itching to discover new chamber music I received my copy yesterday, but I'm a little disappointed. It won't be destined for the charity shop, but I guess might be assiduous in gathering a bit of dust on the shelves. I confess I bought it since the brain is geared to thinking that anything on CPO must be at least worthwhile. Then, along with the pianist Agustina Herrera (who turns out to be the great grand-daughter of Gaito) the string players are members of the Sarastro Quartet - and since they gave us the Weingartner quartets this formed an additional reason to investigate!

I knew nothing of Gaito. Born in Buenos Aires in 1878, and with music in his genes. He won a scholarship to Europe and studied in Naples and Milan around 1900. It seems most of his output lay in orchestral works and opera, but there was a concentrated spate of chamber works around 1916 (hence the contiguous opus numbers of 24, 25 and 26 for the Piano Quintet, Piano Trio, and Cello Sonata on the present CD). He then returned to Argentina, and went on (according to the CD notes) to play an important role as performer, composer, teacher, and administrator.

Yes, I suppose I'm glad to have made the acquaintance of these 3 works. There are certainly far far less satisfying piano trios and quintets around, but these two would seem to me a notch up from good saloon music. Both in 3 movements, with rather charming outer movements sandwiching some sensuous smooze in the middle. In my view the Cello Sonata is the most rewarding - that has a complex structure and builds up to a passionate conclusion.

Very good third rate music, I suppose. I applaud CPO for expanding our knowledge and the opportunity to discover new repertoire. But then I'm a little dismayed that it is at the cost of much awaited already recorded works that lie within their vaults - such as the remainder of the Raff quartets.

However I suppose Gaito might be unsung, but he sure isn't a paradigm 'romantic' composer. Hence I'm expecting some prowling Beckmesser to elbow this posting off the site. Heigh ho, worth a try at least for Gaito is perhaps worth some representation!

Mark Thomas

Quotesome prowling Beckmesser
Ouch! I haven't bought the CD, but the extracts available at jpc seem to place these works firmly within our remit.

QuoteVery good third rate music
The question is, Peter, is that worse than "very bad second rate music"?  ;)

eschiss1

In my opinion, not by much if so, but then my own first tier of composers and pieces is so extremely small and my second tier slightly larger that the "third-rate" ends up being a large category (in which I end up spending a good deal of my time, taking very seriously and enjoying a whole lot. Others' fuel economy will vary...)