News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Roger Sacheverell Coke

Started by Gareth Vaughan, Monday 23 May 2011, 21:19

Previous topic - Next topic

williamgear

I am a Pinxtonian and recall Roger Coke as he rode (or usually walked with) his bicycle through the village. He was regarded by villagers as highly eccentric. I believe that he lived alone in Brookhill Hall, apart from a 'governess', though it was rumoured that he had allowed the Hall to be used for some sort of rehabilitation programme for drug addicts.
By this time the family whose income probably derived largely from coal mines, had fallen on hard times. The family had also been associated with the development of the short -lived Pinxton Pottery business
Yesterday I came across Roger's grave with its very simple headstone,whilst walking in Pinxton churchyard. 

After Roger died I attended the auction at Brookhill Hall and amongst other things purchased the outfit that Roger had worn when giving concerts. I remember a large portrait of Roger painted when he was a child.

As for Roger's music I recall seeing scores of, I think, solo piano music in the public library at Alfreton...- but that was 40 years ago!

Gareth Vaughan

Readers of this forum may like to know that Rupert Marshall-Luck (violin) and Matthew Rickard (piano) will perform Coke's Violin Sonata No. 1 in a recital in Dorchester Abbey (Dorchester-on-Thames, Oxford) at 11.00am on 2nd June as part of the English Music Festival.

Gareth Vaughan

Today is a "Eureka!!!" day. I have found the Full Orchestral Score (or a "negative" photocopy thereof) of Coke's 3rd Piano Concerto, previously thought lost. It has been in my kitchen all along, hiding INSIDE the massive set of photocopies which represent his opera The Cenci. Oh, frabjous day! I have been in touch with Mike Spring and, in due course, will send him a copy. I shall also send the 4th PC and the slow movt. (which is all that remains) of the 5th. There is a MS set of parts for No. 4 (at Chesterfield Library), but the others would have to be made up.

albion

Fabulous news - well done Gareth!

Let's hope for and look forward to a well-filled concerto disc ...

;D

Mark Thomas

Alan Howe

Wonder what's in the bread bin...?
Seriously, well done, Gareth!

thalbergmad

Nice work that man, albeit I think it is a little dangerous keeping scores in ones kitchen.

Saying that, a marmite flavoured piano concerto sounds rather appealing.

Thal

Gareth Vaughan

Much safer than my study where they are likely to get lost under mounds of paper!

Mark Thomas

Quotea marmite flavoured piano concerto sounds rather appealing.
- to 50% of the listening public. The other half would hate it to distraction, of course.

I wonder, did Alfred Hill compose a Vegemite Concerto?

Gareth Vaughan

Members and guests of this forum may like to note that Simon Callaghan has recently updated the list of Roger Coke's compositions on the Wikipedia page for this composer.
Quotehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Sacheverell_Coke
It is now thoroughly comprehensive. The saddest thing is that so many (nearly 50%) of the works listed are lost.

FBerwald

I didn't notice the Violin concerto in any discussion till now - and the Piano Concerto in G minor [2 years before his death!] I agree with Gareth - Pity so much of his work is lost.