Hans Rott Lieder premiere recording

Started by Paul Barasi, Thursday 09 August 2012, 08:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Barasi

Recording of Hans Rott's orchestral (and then chamber) music started from 1989. Now, for the first time, his recorded repertoire extends to lieder – a breakthrough without any publicity so far via reviews. This CD gives us half of a small realisable collection of Rott Lieder plus songs by Diepenbrock, Foerster, Mahler, Walter, and Zemlinsky. The 4 Rott songs included are: Wanderers Nachtlied; Das Abendglöcklein; Geistesgruß; and Der Sänger.

Das Abendglöcklein (The Little Evening Bell) is for alto, but is sung on the CD along with the other 18 by a bass-baritone! (The alto part was similarly switched in one concert at St. Florian.)

CD details
Mahler Freunde und Zeitgenossen/Dominik Worner and Felicitas Strack/ARS Produktion/ARS38477

Extracts from all tracks can be heard at http://www.ars-produktion.de/Gustav_MahlerFreunde_und_Zeitgenossen/topic/Suchergebnis/shop_art_id/267/tpl/shop_article_detail

I have found only two other sites offering it: Crochet and MDT.

I am keen to find out what anyone hearing Rott's lieder thinks of them and whose style you reckon they resemble (Bruckner, Mahler, Wolf ...).

As the sleeve notes (which do include German lyrics but not translations) are brief and so poor I decided to write my own! In doing so, I was fascinated by how the songs help fill out the Rott-Mahler relationship but my starting point has been looking at what Rott lieder still exists. That obviously belongs on the composers and music board, see: Hans Rott's Lieder Collection.