Joseph Rheinberger -Not Just Organ Music-

Started by John Hudock, Tuesday 23 February 2010, 14:01

Previous topic - Next topic

John Hudock

Joseph Rheinberger, best known for his organ compositions and deservedly so, also wrote some wonderful choral works (there's are nice collections on Chandos, ASV, Dorian,Hyperion and Paraclete and a lovely Christmas oratorio 'Der Stern von Bethlehem' on Capriccio) some for chorus and organ and some with orchestra. There are some very lovely masses and motets well worth hearing.

There are also some very lovely chamber works for violin & organ (available on Naxos) and violin, cello and organ (available on Helios) plus other more traditional forms (I would heartily recommend the complete chamber music set on Thorofon). I am particularly fond of the violin & organ suite.

I see his piano concerto has already been mentioned in other threads in the forum.

Any other interesting (non-organ) works by Rheinberger that I may have missed?

edurban

Rheinberger can be marvelous when he's working in the right medium.  The big orchestra pieces don't always convince me: the Florentine Symphony exhaustingly works over it's opening motiv like a terrier with a rat, and Wallenstein just seems short of imagination and good tunes (but I'll go listen to it again tonight.)  The vorspiel to Die sieben Raben has no whiff of the theatre, but I'd be curious to hear the opera--at least once.

The piano concerto has its moments, but reminds me of the Lalo pc...awkwardly conceived for the instrument.  The organ concertos are much better: real charmers, and No.2 was a barn-burner in the hands of E.Power Biggs on the old Columbia vinyl (nla).  No recent recording of the organ concertos is equally successful, IMO.

But far and away my favorite Rheinberger is the chamber music.  The piano quartet, Op. 38 is gorgeous, and on the old Thorofon disc it was coupled with excellent sonatas for cello and horn, both full of heart and brimming with memorable tunes.  Try to find them...
David

Peter1953

Another pleasant piece is the Sonata for Piano four-hands in C minor, Op. 122 (1881) on the Centaur label (1999), coupled with other piano music for four-hands, namely Rubinstein's Sonata in D Major, Op. 89 and a rare one, Converse's Valzer Poetici, Op. 5.
Some members won't be surprised when I say that Rubinstein is by far the best of this CD.

Gareth Vaughan

I'm very fond of Rheinberger's Piano Concerto too.

thalbergmad

I have not got a great deal of experience outside of the concerto, but have played a barcarolle and a couple of his etudes that were not exactly special.

I plan to look at the sonatas at sometime in the future.

Thal

petershott@btinternet.com

I'd give a most warm recommendation to a 2CD set of the 4 Piano Trios (Opp. 34, 112, 121, 191a) by the Trio Parnassus on Dabringhaus und Grimm. Lovely stuff!

Then there is the Nonet Op 139 and Sextet Op 191b by the Consortium Classicum on the same label.

I'm in partial disagreement with another view on an earlier posting (can't remember who!) re. some of the orchestral music. It strikes me as fine stuff - and little to do with terrier dogs!

Jonathan

Some years ago, I bought at a secondhand music shop, the score of his Piano Sonata in D flat major, Op.99.  I played it through and I thought it was wonderful.  I even eventually found a recording, in which it is coupled with 2 other sonatas - Op.47 and 135.  I think it's the best of these 3.  The CD is on Centaur, number CRC 2648 and the pianist is Antonio Pompa-Baldi.  I'm sorry to say I've not heard much else but hope to become acquainted with some time soon!

Alan Howe

I absolutely adore the Florentine Symphony. It's too long, I know, but who can resist the fund of melody it contains? Do try it if you haven't heard it...

JimL

I, too, am terribly fond of the piano concerto.  I find it to be much more idiomatic than the Lalo, and it was one of the first works I ever heard that brought to my attention the treasures to be found in the unsung repertoire (thanks to the old Adrian Ruiz LP in the Santa Monica Library).  The Lalo has terribly clunky piano writing, and the virtuosic element seems to have been thrown in as an afterthought.  A while ago I heard Rheinberger's Piano Quintet in C, Op. 114 on the Time-Warner Classical Masterpiece channel.  I'd sure like to hear it again soon.

edurban

"...I find it to be much more idiomatic than the Lalo..."

Absolutely.  The Lalo is not idiomatic at all.

"...The Lalo has terribly clunky piano writing..."

Oh yes.  See above.  On the other hand, Lalo's tunes are better and he's a better orchestrator, IMO.

"...and the virtuosic element seems to have been thrown in as an afterthought..."

Agreed, but to me this is something it has in common with the Rheinberger.  Plus, for me, R's 'stentorian' chordal statements fall flat...I can't help thinking he's got organ sonorities in mind.

Once again, I love much Rheinberger...but not everything.

David

Marcus

Hello jhudock & Jonathon,
The Rheinberger Piano Sonatas opp.47,99,135 are available on Centaur #CRC2648.
A few years ago I bought the complete Chamber Music - 6CDs on Thorofon #BCTH 2161/6.
Another disc worth mentioning is the Symphonic Tone Picture for Large Orchestra,Wallenstein, op10, a giant work lasting 55
minutes, on Signum SIG X50-00. Also on this disc is the Prelude to the Opera The Seven Ravens.

Marcus

Gareth Vaughan

A comprehensive survey of Rheinberger's piano music has been done by pianist Jurg Hanselmans for the Prezioso label (available from JPC in Germany) on 9 CDs (all available separately) which includes all four of his sonatas for solo piano. Apart from the sonatas, the suites of smaller pieces, studies, etc. are attractive but uneven.

chill319

I was mightily impressed by the high lyricism and mature craft in the E-flat major sonata, opus 135. Looking forward to getting to know more Rheinberger -- starting with the D-flat sonata that Jonathan mentions. Is a publisher's name handy?

thalbergmad

The complete works of Rheinberger has been published by Carus Verlag, but Bill Gates would think twice about buying them.

Cheaper to get library copies for study purposes. Or at least, that is what i did.

Thal

John Hudock

QuoteThe Rheinberger Piano Sonatas opp.47,99,135 are available on Centaur #CRC2648.

I don't have a copy of the piano sonatas. I will get the cd and give them a listen. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote'd give a most warm recommendation to a 2CD set of the 4 Piano Trios (Opp. 34, 112, 121, 191a) by the Trio Parnassus

I have the piano trios from the Throfon set with the Gobel trio. Do you think the Parnassus performance was particularly worthwhile or are you just recommending the trios? Curiously, the Thorofon set doesn't have the Op 191a. I wonder if it's an arrangement of something else. The sextet is Op 191b.

QuoteAnother disc worth mentioning is the Symphonic Tone Picture for Large Orchestra,Wallenstein, op10

While I have been more firmly attached to the choral and chamber works (and the organ music) I don't remember my impression of the Wallenstein. I have the recording of Wallenstein with the Frankfurt PO on Sigum (as far as I'm aware it's the only recording). I will have to give it another chance.

QuoteI absolutely adore the Florentine Symphony

I have to give it another listen too. I don't remember it making a strong impression when I listened to it. I have it with the Nordwestdeustch PO, which again I think is the only recording. The CD lists it as symphony No 2, I have never seen a recording of No 1. Anyone know anything about it or if there is a No 3+?