News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Requiems

Started by John Hudock, Wednesday 24 February 2010, 01:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus

Hello John Huddok,
While researching something else, I came across the name of a Polish composer who lived in the 18th century, who wrote a Requiem. He is Piotr Krocki ; no birth or death dates given, and I haven't been able to find anything else apart from the fact that he was involved with the Jesuits from 1730-37, he wrote sacred & choral works, including the requiem, but all are now lost. Probably useless information, but at least it might help complete your records. He is not listed in the vast requiem listings provided elsewhere. ( My source Groves )
Marcus.

John Hudock

I also just saw in the new release list from the current Gramophone a new requiem by David Bednall. I know nothing about the composer.

matuka

giles.enders

I think John Hudock has hit on a very worthwhile and underrated area of classical and romantic music.  It would be of great interest if he would consolidate and expand the accumulated information so that it becomes THE PLACE to go with a google search.  It is also a way of making people aware of just how many requiems there are and to hopefully explore some of them.

saxtromba

I apologize if somebody else already mentioned this and I missed it, but I didn't see the Requiem of Abbe Georg Joseph Vogler, Beethoven's contemporary, listed.  This has been released on both the Arte Nova and Oehms labels.  Another, quite charming (!), Requiem, unfortunately no longer available, was that of Mateusz Zwierzchowski, which was once available through the Music Heritage Society, so used copies might still be floating around.  Zwierzchowski comes across as a gentle soul in the music, much more interested in resurrection and forgiveness than fear and punishment. 

eschiss1

Quote from: giles.enders on Tuesday 15 February 2011, 11:37
I think John Hudock has hit on a very worthwhile and underrated area of classical and romantic music.  It would be of great interest if he would consolidate and expand the accumulated information so that it becomes THE PLACE to go with a google search.  It is also a way of making people aware of just how many requiems there are and to hopefully explore some of them.

In this connection there is this site.