Wouldn't it be better to sort downloads by country of composer?

Started by Martin, Saturday 18 August 2012, 13:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

Downloading one after one, without system, will cause a mess. The previous system: by country of downloaded composer was quite clear.

Alan Howe

I'll bear in mind what you suggest if we acquire a large number of uploads. In the meantime (as we only have five works available) I'll try to ensure that each download thread is adequately titled to reflect its contents (i.e. by composer and work). Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Richard Moss

Mark,

Whilst I can see the desire to be able to refer to a composer's country, personally I would find it easier to have a simple A-Z by composer and then I don't need to know what country a composer originally came from (or is held under, if different). 

Sometimes after I've downloaded, I've realised I didn't download (or accidentally erased??!!) the notes accompanying that piece.  When I've gone back to retrieve them, I've had to 'guess' the country involved in order to find the piece (or done a UC search that says, for example, Austria) but then I've often had to plough through many pages hoping to spot the item I'm after as unfortunately the link given in the search reply is not to the specific item, only the main folder (e.g. country) its held in.

I think the country indexes (or for the purists, indices) that were compiled before were a nice touch to potentially find other treasures from the same background but I wonder if that is how members actually seek fresh downloads?

Just a thought or three!  I respect others wishes to express their own preferences, just a bit of 'grist to your mill' to help your deliberations.

Best wishes with the 'new 'site - as a 'romantic' music lover myself, your decisions are amply understood and I'm only sorry you  and Alan have had to be so polite to the 'modernists' who have been busy, it would seem, throwing their toys out of the pram because of your desire to spend your own time (and money) and keep to traditional romantic stuff.  Its your time we're talking about and the rest of us I'm sure are forever grateful for the undoubted workload you and Alan (and now Semloh - welcome and tks!) undertake to help us hear and understand all these rare treasures.

Richard

Richard Moss

Mark,

As a follow-up:  is it possible to show the country archives sorted A-Z.  At present I get the impression they are listed in the order of the country of what was most recently uploaded.  Obviously, it would be most desirable to still list (sorry for all the split infinitives!!) the individual most recent uploads in the Downlaods sections in a 'last on top' manner so we can all readily see the new items uploaded.

Cheers

Richard

PS I have no idea as to what is required technically on these suggestions (or even as to whether they are feasible or whatever) - I'm just observing what I think would aid 'ease of use'

Alan Howe

I'm afraid we don't have any intention to amend or improve the Archive - it's simply retained for reference purposes and as a thankyou to those who contributed to it. Remember: it can't be added to, so there will be no new downloads to look out for there.

As far as actually locating items is concerned, don't forget to use the 'Entire forum' search facility. I usually find that works...

With regard to the new downloads, we'll bear in mind whether/how to catalogue them, but at present there are not enough contributions to warrant thinking about it.

Richard Moss

Alan,

Had totally forgotten that you and Mark had advised that the previous UC archives were now 'frozen'.  As you rightly say, in that case it is clearly a 'non-problem'!

Best wishes

Richard

Alan Howe