News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Allies in high places

Started by JimL, Monday 20 August 2012, 14:58

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

We have an ally.  I can't say precisely who, or maybe I can, but I won't until I'm certain.  She is the conductor of a major U.S. city's orchestra and she's always on the lookout for neglected composers.  I'm going to start burning and sending CDs and emailing her any scores to accompany them that I can find, as well as performer recommendations.  This could be the start of something good.  ;D

Alan Howe

Well done, Jim. Let us know how we can help - by PM, if discretion is required...

petershott@btinternet.com

Hip, hip, hurrah for the stalwart Jim. I wish you every success in your stealthy campaign!

JimL

Greg K

Are there any women conductors of major U.S. city orchestras beyond Marin Alsop (Baltimore)
and JoAnn Falletta (Buffalo)?  I don't think so.  Must be one or the other of them.

Alan Howe

Let's not get into a guessing game here. Jim obviously doesn't want to reveal her identity, so no more guesses, please.

Greg K

OK, - without guessing whom, is this a person you've had prior contact with and communicated about the matter together,  or just someone you've heard has an interest in neglected repertoire and decided to send them scores and recordings unsolicited?

Apart from that, I just can't see any major American Orchestra programming music of the kind we discuss here (if that's the prospect you're suggesting).  It's not going to happen. 

Lionel Harrsion

X. Trapnel

I'd hold out hope at least for something American.

JimL

This is someone who has already recorded an unsung work which she was instrumental in discovering, and who answered a query of mine about it.  She has already performed this work with her orchestra, in concert.  When I mentioned that I had several CDs and downloads of neglected repertoire I would like to share with her she responded very positively.  You should be able to guess who it is from this information.  Now, let's just keep it to ourselves, shall we?  If anybody wants to know precisely who it is, let's do it by PM, eh?

Alan Howe

Let's just cool the discussion, please, and allow Jim to report back as and when he is able.

mbhaub

We can always hope, but don't be disappointed if it fails to materialize. Falletta has done some off-beat stuff in Buffalo: the Converse disk on Naxos is terrific. She's done some music by forgotten victims of the Nazis, and this season Gliere 3. But Buffalo has the funding and audience to do it. Most orchestras don't and that's why so much programming is so dull to us. But they have to play to the crowds, and they want Brahms over Raff and Beethoven over Spohr. There's one orchestra that seems dedicated to the obscure: The American Symphony Orchestra that Leon Botstein runs. THe smaller, regional orchestras and community based amateur groups are even more stuck in a rut. But, if there's a major orchestra out there willing to take up the mantle, bravo, or brava, to her.

Alan Howe

Well, let's hope - and try as hard as we can through whatever channels are open to us. After all, I merely sent Chandos some Rufinatscha and we ended up with the 6th Symphony under Noseda with the promise of more to come...

JimL

Speaking of Rufi, I was thinking of sending on the 5th.  I'd also like to forward the Raff PC (with score) and a referral to Tra Nguyen.  I'm also considering the Catoire Symphony and maybe some 20th Century stuff that I got here earlier (like the Linde Merry Overture and the Sulek 5th Symphony and 3rd PC).  Worth a shot, don't you think?

Alan Howe