News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Allies in high places

Started by JimL, Monday 20 August 2012, 14:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

I'm sure you've thought of this, Jim, but in case you hadn't, can I suggest that you make sure a set of orchestral parts is readily available for any score with which you may wish to tempt your conductor? If it's in the Fleisher all the better because they charge virtually nothing for lending the music. A score without parts involves someone in work (and hence money) before it can be performed, which may tell against it.

JimL

I sent her an email saying that I would forward any scores I had available.  I already have the full score of the Raff PC in my computer. 

Greg K

Quote from: Alan Howe on Monday 20 August 2012, 20:17
Let's just cool the discussion, please, and allow Jim to report back as and when he is able.

OK with me, - but could someone explain the secrecy?  What's at stake if we discover who Jim's referring to?  Would we be blowing some risque cover, and this person will be ridiculed and/or ostracized for trafficing in contraband composers if it gets out she's reading scores and listening to recordings?  What Jim describes is probably utterly common among conductors and musicians.
Who among them wouldn't love to perform and/or record unsung works they're familiar with, that they believer audiences and listeners would relish and enjoy, however unfeasible the prospect in most instances.  It's a curiosity to know about Jim's experience and who he's communicating with and about what.  But I can't understand what the scoop is here that should make us reticent about an unveiling outside some carefully choreographed time and place.  Just wondering :).

Alan Howe

The point is, it's for Jim to reveal. And he hasn't chosen to. So let's leave it up to him.

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteI already have the full score of the Raff PC in my computer. 

Well, that's as good a place as any to start with - and we know a set of parts exists for that in Fleisher.

JimL

Do they have the Othello Prelude and 4th Symphony, too? 8)

Gareth Vaughan

No "Othello" and only the score of the 4th Symphony, I'm afraid. For future reference, here's the URL for the Fleisher Catalogue: http://catalog.library.phila.gov/

karelm

Quote from: Alan Howe on Tuesday 21 August 2012, 18:08
The point is, it's for Jim to reveal. And he hasn't chosen to. So let's leave it up to him.
So let me make sure I'm following...jiml starts a thread on an Internet messageboard to talk about something he doesn't want anyone to know about meanwhile offering enough clues to narrow it down to one person that most hardcore classicalphiles would know while you chide people for trying to guess who it is he's described?  What a strange site this is becoming.

Alan Howe

It's only as strange as those who participate in it... ;)

Anyway: time to move on. No more posts, please, about the identity of this ally (unless Jim chooses to reveal this information at some point). And by the way: this site has never gone in for guessing games about the identity of participants in upcoming or planned recording projects when that information is known to a poster who wants to keep it secret because of issues of confidentiality. Several members of the forum are regularly involved in such projects and information is released as and when it is right to do so. That's the final word on this issue: let's restrict ourselves to encouraging Jim however we can and to looking forward to hearing what transpires.

chill319

Alan, I seldom find myself disagreeing with you, but in this case... I'd say that sometimes there's another angle... So while I quite understand JimL's desire for propriety in this matter, I would like to say to him: 

I would love to see the E minor and C minor symphonies of Converse recorded. I happen to know that the female conductor of a major American orchestra not far from a major waterfall has looked at and passed on recording those two symphonies. So if the mystery conductor is not that particular lady, please consider recommending the Converse symphonies to her -- scores and parts at the New England Conservatory.

Thanks. And feel free to delete if this post offends.

JimL

What I'm doing is sending her CDs of the works first, and accompanying the CDs with emails of information on the score (or FS from IMSLP, if available).  So, if you don't have a broadcast of the Converse symphonies you can upload for me to burn and send, I don't think it's a doable thing.  But I will pass along the sentiments when I've established myself (and my musical tastes as trustworthy) with her.  Next is some Miaskovsky, then Rufinatscha.  After that, I think I'll try to arrange something with Roberto Prosseda to do the American premiere of the Gounod Piano-pédalier Concerto.  After that, well...who knows? 

P.S. Can anybody guess now why I want to keep this low-key?  I want neither my contact nor myself to be inundated with requests for this or that.  I just have a toe-hold and want to see if she finds my initial suggestions worthwhile before making suggestions for music I'm unfamiliar with myself.  Or at least build up her CD collection with some unsungs for a while.  Capisce?

Alan Howe

We capisce 100%, Jim. No further posts containing guesses or implied guesses will be tolerated, whatever the reason. Period.