Zelenski Piano Quartet & Zarebski Piano Quintet from Hyperion

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 22 August 2012, 17:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Due out in December:
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67905

My opinion of Zelenski continues to go up. He seems to be a composer of some originality, as the audio excerpts available above demonstrate. With the beautiful work by the tragically short-lived Zarebski as coupling, this release will surely be a hit...

petershott@btinternet.com

Well spotted! And Hyperion come up trumps (yet again!)

I agree with Alan's view of Zelenski. I was especially impressed by the two String Quartets Opp. 28 and 42 to be found on Acte Prealable AP0236. So I eagerly await the Piano Quartet Op 61 - especially given Jonathan Plowright and the Szymanowski Quartet. Should be something quite special.

Likewise the Zarebski Piano Quintet. But, alas, a great pity when duplications occur in rare repertory. That work gets a sizzling account by the Warsaw Quintet on DUX 0530. As you say, it is a wonderfully beautiful work. So much so that cold reason is outweighed by compelling desire and a duplication shall be added to the sagging shelves in December.

Jonathan

Oh well, another one for the wishlist!  Great news though and another win for Hyperion.  I look forward very much to hearing these works.

febnyc

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Wednesday 22 August 2012, 19:32

Likewise the Zarebski Piano Quintet. But, alas, a great pity when duplications occur in rare repertory. That work gets a sizzling account by the Warsaw Quintet on DUX 0530. As you say, it is a wonderfully beautiful work. So much so that cold reason is outweighed by compelling desire and a duplication shall be added to the sagging shelves in December.

Yes, and the Zelenski Op.61 also is a duplication - having been recorded by Olympia (and coupled with a beautiful Noskowski Piano Quartet).  So, if you simply are seeking the Zelenski - and don't have the Noskowski - there is an alternative to the Hyperion.  :)

Alan Howe

It's deleted, but you can still find the odd copy. Nevertheless, for anyone who doesn't have these pieces, this'll be an attractive release.

obermann

I am definitely looking forward to this release as I have never heard either work yet and Plowright has posted some interesting comments on the works via his website.

If I am not mistaken the two piano concertos are also in the can and awaiting release with the same pianist.

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

That's quite understandable. Too many fine Polish composers beginning with the letter 'Z'!