BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Jongen downloads

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 22 August 2012, 22:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Lionel Harrsion

Yes, Leon was Joseph's younger brother.

minacciosa

They were brothers. There is a very different and equaly fine recording of the Viola Suite on Koch:
http://www.amazon.com/Die-Viola-Orchestra-Mahaut-Hindemith/dp/B000001STC

This is a reissue.

Amphissa

I look forward to your post of the concert performance of the VC. It is quite different from his brother's VC.  :)

minacciosa

Yes, JJ's VC is extremely different from LJ's, but then again they were written more than sixty years apart.

minacciosa

Regarding the Harp Concerto. we have more options that previously thought. Here is a link to a cd that also contains Gliere's Harp Concerto played by Gretchen Van Hoesen.
http://www.harpmall.com/CdGalleryStore/vanhoesen01.htm

Quite by accident I stumbled upon a dvd(!) of a performance of Jongen's concerto. The dvd also contains the Poeme Elegiaque (1st movement of the Suite for Viola & Orchestra, here performed with piano), Duex Pieces for Four Violas (Jongen's transcription of his eponymous work for four cellos). and Harpe Esquisse for harp and string quartet (JJ's transcription of a piano work). I ordered the dvd, and it arrived yesterday. I'll get back to you on that.
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/racheltalitmanharppierre2

Alan Howe

Fascinating. Can't wait to hear your report...

calyptorhynchus

These are very interesting works. The Trio reminded me of Vaughan Williams and the Concerto of Max Bruch.

Stunning performance for a non-professional orchestra, I expect the concert went well.

Must listen to more Jongen.

Thanks for posting.

eschiss1

I see all of his string quartets have been recorded - another set of CDs that I wish I could buy (maybe sometime one of these days) or hope a radio station will broadcast and that I'll at least hear; have been interested in them. In principle and sincerely, though, good news.

minacciosa

Two major works for quartet have yet to be recorded, or at least released commercially.

eschiss1

TerraEpon

I have a couple pieces I Dled from eMusic some years ago that no one has mentioned. A Concerto for Wind Quintet, and a lovely piece called Dance Lente in an arrangement for flute and harp.
FWIW.

minacciosa

Both excellent, and also recorded. I wouldn't cast them among Jongen's major works, but that doesn't make them any less entertaining or worthy of study.

minacciosa

The dvd released by Harp & Co. featuring the music of Joseph Jongen is excellent. It consists of live performances filmed specifically for this dvd. (The exact works are listed in a previous post.) The performance of the Harp Concerto is quite good. I thought the harpist was an excellent player, though her dynamic range was rather narrow. The orchestra is presumably professional, but the strings do not have a proper blend. As a whole the performance are very enjoyable if not very flexible, which is a quality I think this music needs. Jongen's Harp Concerto is a subtle piece, and tempi need to be finely judged, particularly in the finale lest a certain sameness sets in and the appearance of the coda seem hurried.

The majority of the disc features the violist Pierre-Henri Xuereb, who is an excellent player. His sound is airy and unforced, and thus may not be to everyone's taste. I found his performance of the first movement of the Suite for Viola & Orchestra (here done with piano) exquisite. He's joined by three other excellent violists in the transcription of the Deux Pieces. All the performances are very satisfying.

There are two video segments interspersed among the performances; the first is of the luthier Friedrich Alber, and it has a bit of Pia Segerstam playing the first cello part from the opening of the Deux Pieces for Four Cellos on an instrument made by Alber. The second segment is of stringmaker Bernard Maillot, who manages the Savarez S.A. It shows various stages in the manufacturing of a string along with Maillot's narration. Throughout the disk all dialogue is in French, and there are no subtitles. Interestingly, the end credits are in English, which roll while a Jongen work for harp is played in the background. That work's title is not given in the credits. Another odd thing is that frequently the video is not in sync with what is being played, and it looks to be a conscious choice of the filmmakers. It took a while for this to cease being disconcerting to me, though it may not bother others so much. There are also liner notes included written in English, French and Chinese.

If you are so inclined, order the dvd. I loved it, and I give it a total buy rating.   
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/racheltalitmanharppierre2