Georg Schumann Preis-Symphonie

Started by Martin Eastick, Thursday 23 August 2012, 10:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

I see that JPC have at last announced this CPO recording as a new release for September! Also included is the Serenade for large orchestra Op34. I suspect that there may be more than a few here interested...........

petershott@btinternet.com

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

Having just received my copy from jpc, I see that cpo have committed yet another translation howler: apparently the work is G. Schumann's "Price-Winning Symphony". BOGOF, anybody?  ;)

Seriously, this sort of thing just won't do. It's absolutely pathetic that their translator doesn't know that the German "Preis" means "prize" as well as "price"!

petershott@btinternet.com

Well, actually us folk at UC know a fluent Germanophone who is also pretty clued up about music!

How about it, Alan? What would be enormously good would be, not so much the avoidance of howlers (though they are sometimes fun), but the provision of cogently written detailed authoritative notes rather than the convoluted garbage that CPO often provide.

Not to the point, but this mirthful wag can't help but make mention of the enthusiastic customer on Amazon.co.uk who has submitted reviews of the CPO discs of Gilse symphonies. Try the review of Gilse 4 for starters.

FBerwald

Don't forget the Weingartner Symphonies' booklets.... wonderful cerebral hemorrhage Courtesy of Eckhardt van den Hoogen and Susan Marie Praeder.

eschiss1

Is it, erm, kosher to ask how this performance of the Preis-Symphonie compares to that conducted by Georg Schmöhe?

Alan Howe

...erm, it's the same performance, Eric (the timings are identical). We seem to have been misled as to the identity of the conductor.

Alan Howe

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Wednesday 10 October 2012, 13:44
How about it, Alan? What would be enormously good would be, not so much the avoidance of howlers (though they are sometimes fun), but the provision of cogently written detailed authoritative notes rather than the convoluted garbage that CPO often provide.

I've suggested it to them in the past, but they obviously believe (erroneously) that an English-speaking German is up to the job. This is, of course, a huge mistake - unless the person concerned is truly bilingual. It is also the reason why I never agree to do professional translations into German - that's a job for a German national.

eschiss1

Oh. Whoops. and thanks (time to modify my iTunes info or delete the performance, judgment call there. Ah well.)

JimL

I'm modifying.  They'll have to pry my download from my cold, dead PC!   ;D

But I guess we'll have to delete it from the Downloads Archive!

Mark Thomas

M. Yaskovsky

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Wednesday 10 October 2012, 13:44

Not to the point, but this mirthful wag can't help but make mention of the enthusiastic customer on Amazon.co.uk who has submitted reviews of the CPO discs of Gilse symphonies. Try the review of Gilse 4 for starters.

What's wrong with an enthusiastic customer on Amazon? My English is absurdly incompetent but I can make my point in English. Can you make it in Dutch?

Alan Howe

No, your English is pretty good - in fact extremely good. And no doubt our Dutch is non-existent. It's just that anyone going into print in a foreign language sets themselves up for an almighty fall when they make some obvious mistake or other. Hence my complaint about cpo's badly translated sleevenotes. However, I suppose an Amazon review is somewhat different...