News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Cecil Coles (1888-1918)

Started by Amphissa, Sunday 23 December 2012, 05:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Amphissa

Cecil Coles has been mentioned a few times in passing on UC over the years. By now, most know the sad story. Coles was a promising young Scottish composer. Upon completion of his studies at Edinburgh University, London College of Music and Morely College he furthered his studies in Stuttgart and took a post as assistant conductor of the Stuttgart Royal Opera.  He returned to the UK in 1913. When war broke out in 1914, he volunteered for service and became bandmaster to the Queen's Victoria Rifles. He sent manuscripts home to his friend, Gustav Holst, from the front. While helping rescue wounded comrades, he was killed by a German sniper. He was 29 years old.

Unlike the works of some other composers who died in war, the music of Coles languished. It was the persistent efforts of his daughter brought light to the manuscripts.

For those who have not yet discovered the Hyperion CD of music by Cecil Coles, I'll whet your appetite with a couple of items from broadcast in the downloads. The CD, which predates these live performances, can be found here: http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67293

semloh

Thank you so much for these precious uploads, Amphissa. I've never heard anything by Coles so I'm really excited at the prospect.

His tragic death is a reminder of how dreadful is war, and how precious is peace - a message so appropriate at this time of year.

Well, I've just listened to the Overture, and what a spectacular piece it is, with orchestration worthy of Stanford. This makes his loss all the more painful. If only ....  :(

Mark Thomas

I bought the CD when it came out, played it once but, until I played these two cracking pieces, had quite forgotten about it. Something of a metaphor for Coles' own fate. Thanks Amphissa for the reminder - very enjoyable music.

scarpia

I just found the Hyperion CD in a used bin at a shop in Montreal. Awesome music. One more composer to add to my list of time travel rescues.