Alan Howe

kyjo

Quite, Alan. Michael Herman's discographies are fascinating and are an
excellent resource.

rosflute

Hi everyone

Regarding the symphonies of Sgambati :
No 1 received a live performance in Rome last autumn and is being recorded
No 2 is now re-published in a 2nd (improved and corrected) edition  - and will be recorded next year (I'm just finishing printing the orchestral parts now)
No 3 is also up for recording soon - it is indeed the work to which you all referred, it is the Epitalamio written for the Aosta wedding. I've prepared some of the new score already and I'll put a snatch on this site soon.

Apologies for the delayed response to the thread - I've been a bit busy recently but, as you can tell, there are some exciting things afoot  :)     

Alan Howe

Hi Roz,
Good to hear from you - and thanks for the update about forthcoming Sgambati recordings. Can you possibly tell us any more about the recordings? Might they be with the Rome Symphony Orchestra under Francesco La Vecchia for Naxos, by any chance?

Alan Howe

Here's a review (via Google translation!!) of a performance of the 1st Symphony given in Rome on 15th December 2011:

<<It takes courage to present to the public-as did the Rome Symphony Orchestra, directed by the energetic and precise Francesco La Vecchia - Symphony in D major by Giovanni Sgambati, little-known author of the late nineteenth century, and courageous advocate of a necessary Italian approach to the symphonic world.

Let's say that the forty minutes of the Symphony run smoothly. The second movement, Andante mesto, is a beautiful Italian melody "instrumented" German, as well as the brilliant Scherzo. The lyricism emerges continuously between the harmonic textures ever complicated, so that seems to offer Sgambati union between our traditional northern European and influence of calm and scenic listening.>>
http://www.cittanuova.it/contenuto.php?idContenuto=332289&TipoContenuto=web