News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Cyril Scott

Started by musiclover, Sunday 25 November 2012, 13:24

Previous topic - Next topic

musiclover

Does anyone have any news or information on the rumour that Martin Yates (he of Moeran Symphony 2 fame) has completed the early Scott Piano Concerto and is recording it soon? I presume it's for Dutton as he seems to be exclusive to them.

britishcomposer

petershott@btinternet.com

Are you referring to a D major Concerto that Scott left incomplete around 1900? (As opposed to the published Piano Concerto No. 1 of 1913-14, which was recorded by Howard Shelley in the Chandos series of Scott's orchestral works that started with a considerable omppff but, sadly, then seemed to fizzle out).

I have heard this rumour (but can't recall from where), and it was certainly no more than an unverified rumour. In the current recorded music business there's often a considerable gap between, on the one hand, rumours, hopes and expectations, and on the other hand, actual little silver discs.

I know no more, but suspect that if there is anything in the rumour then it might well be Dutton. And possibly Leslie De'Ath?

Personally, I very much enjoy Scott and especially the chamber music. But only by a somewhat loose interpretation of the word could he be counted as a 'Romantic' composer. (And I guess Scott himself wouldn't have wanted the label). As such maybe this site isn't the best place to pose your question. Might be worth a try over at the Art-Music Forum where all the overgrown trainspotters who keep lists of things congregate?

Alan Howe

Quote from: petershott@btinternet.com on Sunday 25 November 2012, 14:34
at the Art-Music Forum where all the overgrown trainspotters who keep lists of things congregate?

I had a friend who used to spot trains. Much preferred to consider the aesthetics of their design myself. Wonder how that applies to music...? ;)

musiclover

I've heard that Yates recorded the early Piano Concerto with Peter Donohoe, the early Cello Concerto with Raphael Wallfisch and the Overture Pelleas & Mellisanda.....with the BBC Concert Orchestra. Wonder when it will come out. I believe it was for Dutton. It should be a find I hope!

Gareth Vaughan

I went to a first class concert at The Dome, Brighton, last Sunday afternoon. It was a piece of bold programming: Butterworth: Two English Idyls; Warlock: Capriol Suite; Ireland: Piano Concerto (Victor Sangiorgio - soloist); Moeran: Symphony No. 2 (reconstructed and realised from MS fragments in Univ of Melbourne Library by Martin Yates. BBC Concert Orchestra under Martin Yates. It was, predictably, just over half full - but the audience was a very enthusiastic one. The Moeran, by the way, is superb!
Anyhow, the point of this is that I met Lewis Foreman there who said the Scott PC would be out with the next batch of Duttons - no release date, but "in the Spring". He spoke very highly of Martin Yates' work on it.

Alan Howe

Oh good sleuthing, Gareth! Wonder what the Scott PC is like (I don't much like his later stuff )?