News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Reinhold Becker (1842-1924)

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 26 September 2012, 09:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Alan Howe

It appears that the score and parts for Becker's VC1 are in SLUB, Dresden.

Gareth Vaughan

The scores and parts for both VCs by Gernsheim are in Fleisher, together with his Fantasiestuck for violin & orchestra, Op. 33. It would be nice to find the full score (+parts, if possible) of the second Becker VC, though.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

the full score of the Gernsheim 1st violin concerto is available now readily from MPH (Musikproduktion Höflich) - a fair number of libraries carry their studyscores (or it can be purchased for 13 Euro) - and so if the parts are somewhat lacking, they can hopefully be corrected from the full score.

As to Becker's 2nd concerto, I'm guessing an email to BVB Gateway Bayern (they have a copy of the piano reduction of the work Zentralbibliothek Zurich also seems to have a copy...) -could- turn up movement info, anyway... not sure about scores or parts, alas.

Alan Howe

Thanks, Eric. I think my starting point for a possible CD would be Gernsheim VC1 and Becker VC1, as each is probably the better work of the two in this genre by the respective composers. I have the MPH score of the Gernsheim, but what I really need for each is:
1. A full-size score.
2. Orchestral parts.
3. Violin part.

Gareth Vaughan

I wonder if Matthias Wiegandt might know of the whereabouts of the MS Partitur of Becker's 2nd VC. Just a thought.

LeonieundNinia

Alan Howe

You would appear to be correct - thank you! I wonder who wrote the song on the Adorf website. What an error!

Becker's song is his Op.60.

eschiss1

ÖNB has vocal scores (not full scores) of the two operas whose original sources, it seems, are from theater archives. The theater archives themselves could have full scores and parts though.

Reverie

SYMPHONY NO 1 in C major, Op.140  (1907)

My rendition of the first movement (others to follow).

There is a slow introduction to the main Allegro. However the whole movement is episodic so tempos vary.

LINK:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPsxN12I994

Alan Howe

Just came across this and found it very exciting. It strikes me as heavily Wagnerian - it could almost be titled 'Tristan Symphony'! It certainly stands out from the (symphonic) crowd. I'm now playing it straight through again and am greatly looking forward to the remaining movements. Thanks so much.

And now for a third listen! This is really fabulous music. In the symphonic field I can't think of anything quite like it. The coda is tremendously exciting too. How on earth can this piece have gone unnoticed and (presumably) unperformed for so long?

Reverie

As you may have gathered I have a 'thing' about late romantic orchestral music and I agree this symphony promises to be up there in the top division. Interestingly there are parts of this first movement where you could be listening to an opera minus the voices.

I don't think it's as sophisicated as Berger or maybe we shouldn't be making comparisons?

Alan Howe

It's similar-ish in idiom to Berger 2 (Wagner is the main influence behind both, I think), but it moves more athletically, if you understand my meaning. It's absolutely terrific. I'm hoping the remainder measures up...

Mark Thomas

This sounds intriguing and your reaction is very encouraging, Alan. I can't wait to listen to it (but will have to, until tomorrow). Thanks, as always, Martin.