Anyone for flute or trumpet concertos?

Started by Peter1953, Friday 05 March 2010, 21:16

Previous topic - Next topic

JimL

By Mozart, I assume you mean the trumpet concerto of Leopold.  His son never composed a trumpet concerto.  Since some double concertos involving the flute have been mentioned, perhaps I should throw out a reminder about the concerto for flute and oboe by Moscheles.  It really should have been called a concertino or konzertstuck, since it consists of a single movement with a slow introduction, but concerto is what he called it.  I think that the Italian works by Donizetti and Bellini were called concertinos, as is the Chaminade.  BTW I toss in my vote for the Reinecke as well.  One of the best works he ever composed. 

eschiss1

Quote from: JimL on Sunday 07 March 2010, 15:40
By Mozart, I assume you mean the trumpet concerto of Leopold.  His son never composed a trumpet concerto.
(edited quote above)
To be picky, Wolfgang Mozart did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trumpet_Concerto_(Mozart)

JimL

Well, you live and you learn.  However, a destroyed work that no one living has ever heard is as good as never composed at all.

Hovite

Quote from: Peter1953 on Sunday 07 March 2010, 10:56
I wonder whether the Flute Concerto was more popular in the Baroque and Classical era than in the Romantic era (another example is François Devienne, 1759-1803, who composed some 13 Flute Concertos).

The golden age of the flute concerto was the reign of King Frederick the Great of Prussia. He is reputed to have written four and commissioned many more. Quantz produced about 292 for him.

Likewise, trumpet concertos tend to be baroque or classical. Besides the two Haydn concertos, there is also one by John Humphries (1701-1730), an otherwise unknown English composer.

TerraEpon

Quote from: DennisS on Sunday 07 March 2010, 11:18
But my favourites are those of  J.Haydn & W.Mozart, who, for me at least,  capture the beauty of the  flute better than anyone else. Bellini & Donizetti also wrote flute concertos, as far as I know.

Haydn didn't write any flute concerti specifically (outside of a lost one). The concerto that used to be attributed to him is by Hoffmeister (and IMO is /really/ boring). The Lire Organizzare concerti are sometimes played on two flutes (or flute and oboe), yes, but they aren't particularly idomatic to the instrument (though they are nice pieces).

eschiss1

You have reminded me though of the flute concerto and concertino of Wilms. Any opinions? Underrated Dutch composer who I don't see mentioned much even here; Concertzender Hilversum did do a series of his music that's still audible online or I'd have heard a lot less of his music than I have.
Eric

Marcus

Thanks JimL & eschiss,
Of course I meant Leopold. I probably haven't played it for 20 years, and the only Mozart I play these days are the late symphonies & piano works. I have some of Michael Haydn's works also. The Brandenburg & J. Haydn's E flat are the only ones I bother to play occasionally, and although I often listen to modern trumpet & flute works, & have many coupled with other works on CD , it is usually the other work which I wanted, so I rarely buy the concerto. (the two NZ works mentioned excepted)
Too much music - too much to remember ! That's my excuse anyway !
Marcus.

Hofrat

Am I wrong that no one mentioned Hummel's trumpet concerto?

Marcus

Hello TerrApon,
I have finally found the Cd which I was referring to, and one which I used to play fairly frequently.. It is an EMI which has Flute concertos by M.Haydn & one by L.Hoffman, which was attributed to J.Haydn. I knew I should have stayed in bed ! But thanks for waking me up. Ever have one of those days ?
Marcus.

TerraEpon

Quote from: Hofrat on Monday 08 March 2010, 11:25
Am I wrong that no one mentioned Hummel's trumpet concerto?

That's about as 'sung' as it gets, after Haydn.

eschiss1

A few other flute and trumpet concertos from eras classical or Romantic, by the way-
works by Christoph Graupner (two for trumpet, three for flute ?)
Vanhal - 7 concertos for flute (5 published, 2 in manuscript)
Molique- one for flute
Kramar- two for flute
Boccherini - one for flute (another actually by Pokorny? not sure)
Riotte - one for flute
(J Neruda may be wrong era, though?)
for starters, of course, or not quite starters, but not nearly ending either.
Eric

chill319

Two attractive American works from the 19-teens are still played occasionally: Arthur Foote's "A Night Piece for Flute and Strings" and Charles Griffes's "Poem for Flute and Orchestra." Neither is a full-fledged concerto, of course. 

I have not heard Chaminade's Flute Concertino, opus 107, performed, but I'd sure like to if it's anything like the scintillating two-piano works so stunningly played by Bengt Forsberg and Peter Jablonski on DG. Those have the fun, charm, and craft of Charbrier. Anybody know the Concertino?

TerraEpon

Chaminade's Concertino is one of my favorite pieces, but it's almost pure sugar. It pretty much epitomizes "this was written by a French woman".

eschiss1

Magali Mosnier's 2006 Sony recording of the Chaminade concerto (so described on the recording??) will be broadcast on Radio Swiss Classic (www.radioswissclassic.ch/en  - has multiple web streams) early (7:21 CET) the 13th of March, also on the 18th and 24th.  If you can catch that, that may be the easiest way to become acquainted with the work (I haven't yet myself.)
Eric

eschiss1

Speaking of M. Weinberg's Mendelssohn-and-others-quoting :) trumpet concerto, it will be on next Thursday on BBC - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rd8lj