News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

George Frederick BOYLE

Started by semloh, Monday 22 October 2012, 04:02

Previous topic - Next topic

semloh

Thank you so much mikehopf for that splendid performance and excellent recording of the Piano Concerto in D minor by George Boyle, and what a very fine, late romantic work it is.

I see that Boyle is the subject of what looks like a very comprehensive thesis by Irene Peery, of the Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University, 1987 (unfortunately not available online, but abstract at http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/3287645). There's also a thesis on his piano music by Richard W Stanton (Butler Univ.), but again it seems to be available only at cost. [no wonder most university research sits on the shelves gathering dust!]

There is also an excerpt from his Suite de Ballet on YouTube.... which I am about to sample!

mikehopf

eschiss1

Ah, thanks!

(Reminder: a 2-piano reduction published 1912 can be downloaded here.)

To be fair- a surprisingly large number of dissertations can be downloaded online (well, maybe not in all copyright zones).

eschiss1

(I see a mention in the New York Times (here) of a composer-conducted performance in New York City February 8? 1912 (possibly 7 - "last evening" in the first paragraph of the PDF attached, may mean the evening before the article was written, and the article I think was probably written February 8 for publication on February 9 1912. Not sure...  this arises with obituaries too and when other sources can be found to corroborate one or the other interpretation becomes no less confuzzling. Anyhow... might have been the premiere, but an early performance date, of the same year as the publication of the 2-piano score.)

DennisS

Thank you Mikehopf for the Boyle PC. I have just listened to it twice straight through and would like to say how much I enjoyed the piece - lovely melodies, beautifully orchestrated (I particularly like the use of the flute in the concerto), a delightful PC! I didn't know this composer before but am now going to see what else is available (will check out the CD of his virtuoso piano works).

Thanks again.

Gareth Vaughan

I'll echo those thanks. Wonderful to have this lovely work, Mikehopf. Thank you very much. Do we know the whereabouts of the score and parts?

eschiss1

I'm going to guess somewhere in the USA (maybe NYPL or the Library of Congress?), since Schirmer published it (and he was, though Australian-born, USA-resident (citizen even?) for most of his life. Will check and see if I can go from guess to definite, mind...

eschiss1

and the answer was in front of me--
the Free Library of Philadelphia's Fleisher Collection has Boyle's piano and cello concertos in ms. scores and parts. (Yes, like Wikipedia said, he wrote concertos for piano, for cello (1917) and also for violin. The Fleisher Collection - I didn't see the violin concerto there, but I did see his "Aubade for Orchestra" listed...)

They also have an undated _concertino_ for piano and chamber orchestra by Boyle in ms score and parts   there... :) (estimated 13 minutes, movements Carnival -- Pastorale -- March.)

Gareth Vaughan

You just beat me to it, Eric. Thank God for Fleisher!

britishcomposer

Dear members,

Did any of you happen to record this chamber concert from ABC Classic FM:
http://www.abc.net.au/classic/music-listings/?date=2013-04-08

10:00pm
George Frederick Boyle (1886-1948)
A concert from the Australian National Academy of Music's 'Australian Voices' series, devoted to the Sydney-born Busoni pupil who became a legendary teacher at the Peabody Conservatory, Curtis Institute and the Juilliard School in the United States.
Robert Manley, cello
Timothy Young, piano
Stewart Kelly, piano (Suite)
Gladys Chua, piano (Suite)
George Boyle
Ballade for piano
11'09
George Boyle
Sonata for cello and piano
25'34
George Boyle
Suite for two pianos
20'44
An ABC Classic FM Production.
Recorded in The Salon, Melbourne Recital Centre.
Sound Engineer: Chris Lawson.
Producer: Haig Burnell.
11:00pm

semloh

Oh dear, missed it! There are so few live performances of UCs on the ABC that I only rarely check - hmm, slack. Sorry! ::)

I'll check to see if it is available online, but it's unlikely.

Richard Wagner

I got it, and will post the recordings soon.

britishcomposer

Thank you very much! No need to hurry! :)

jerfilm

Oh that's great Richard.  Thanks.

Jerry

semloh