Rubinstein 4 reissue gets a drubbing...

Started by Alan Howe, Wednesday 24 October 2012, 22:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Howe

Do let us know what you think when it arrives...

khorovod

Alan Howe

Thank you. Maybe you can dissuade me from my negative view of the piece...

Gauk

This thread inspired me to dust off my well-worn CD of this piece ... except I couldn't find it. My collection is so disorganised! However, thanks to the invaluable Naxos streaming subscription I listened to it again. I have to say I can't be so negative about this piece. It may not be "great music" but it isn't tedious either. Perhaps I'm a forgiving listener. There are places where the finale does tread water rather, but not so much that I would condemn the whole piece out of hand, and I still have bits of the scherzo chasing around in my mind a day later.

khorovod

Well I have listened to it three times the last few days and I reckon my views so far are more akin to Alan's than anyone else's but I guess that it could be a lot better performed and recorded than the Naxos recording is. I do like the themes though and I think if all the movements (except the slow movement) were about half the length that they are then it could be more worthy of the name Dramatic. I mean if Rubinstein had made the work shorter not that there should be cuts introduced by the way, as I would always prefer to here the composer's thoughts than someone else's after the event!! It does seem a bit rambling in this recording though and not sure I want to spend money on another version of it tbh! :-\

Alan Howe

Thanks for taking the time to buy a recording and report back.

Alan Howe

Here's a much more positive review. I don't agree with it for a second, but in the interests of fairness...
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2013/Apr13/Rubinstein_sy4_DRD2012.htm

Peter1953

Thanks for the link, Alan. No surprise perhaps, but I almost fully agree with the reviewer, except for his remark on the finale. The more I listen to the Fourth, the more I love it.

Mark Thomas

Wouldn't it be a boring world if we all agreed? Normally I find Byzantion a perceptive critic (i.e. I agree with what he says!), but I feel that he has been way too kind to Rubinstein here. However, "à chacun son goût" as they say in foreign climes.

Alan Howe

It's always good to have a different perspective. Makes one re-think one's opinions.

Gerhard Griesel

I am grateful for this thread. It made me look again at Rubinstein, of whom I have only the PCs. I tried to listen to samples of the different symphonies on various sites, and a glimpse of No. 6 was impressive. I tried especially hard to see whether a box set of Rubinstein seems to be available, but this does not seem to be the case (pun unintended).

Alan Howe

No.6 is the best of the bunch, I believe.

JimL

I've gotten to know both 5 and 6, and I'd say they're both equally fine, however the 5th is more concise.  I also have a soft spot for No. 1.