Joaquin Turina's chamber music from Hyperion

Started by M. Henriksen, Tuesday 14 February 2012, 22:02

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Henriksen

April 2012 release from Hyperion and the Nash Ensemble containing some beautiful music by Spanish composer Joaquin Turina (1882-1949). The most substantial works here are the 1st Piano Trio, the 2nd violin sonata and the Piano Quartet in A minor. My attention was however drawn to the beautiful excerpts from Escena andaluza for viola and piano quintet. Chamber music isn't quite my thing, but this disc will surely be of some interest for many members of the forum.

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA67889&vw=dc

Morten

febnyc

Further to my post on Turina's piano music - which hasn't attracted much attention around here - I would add that his chamber works are as beautiful and as evocative.

All of the works on the Hyperion CD (with the exception of the Escena Andaluza) are on my shelves on other labels - no need, therefore, for the new recording - but always required listening for this lover of chamber music.  Simply lovely and lyrical.

eschiss1

well, the Turina piano trios I can second you on...

alberto

I have just hear the Escena Andaluza in an actual concert (in a version for viola, piano and extended strings) two days ago, much appreciating the piece (unknown to me).
I am a candidate for the new Hyperion Cd.
The concert I attended to comprised also a concerto for viola, piano and strings by the Georgian Vaktang Kakhidze (almost a candidate for the "unsung concerts" thread).