Ferdinand Praeger (1815-1891)

Started by Wheesht, Sunday 22 February 2015, 11:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheesht

In a German biographical dictionary with (some) work descriptions of Romantic music I have come across several names of composers that have not even made it to UC (yet). I'll pick out a few that seem interesting to me and I'll start with those born 200 years ago. Fedinand Christian Wilhelm Praeger was born in Leipzig and started out as cellist at age 9. Hummel advised him to take up the piano, and aged jsut 16 he worked as a music teacher in The Hague. In 1842 (or 1834, as another, perhaps more reliable, source would have it) he settled in London as a pianist. composer and piano teacher. He travelled to Paris and Germany to conduct and perform his own works. These include several overtures, a Symphonic Introduction to Byrons' "Manfred", a Piano Trio, cantatas and songs.

The University at Buffalo Music Library holds a large collection of his scores:
http://libweb1.lib.buffalo.edu:8080/findingaids/view?docId=ead/music/ubmu0046.xml

eschiss1

Hrm. If anyone's willing to borrow and scan something of his and upload to IMSLP, ... - we only have something he translated, but nothing he composed. (We have works by Heinrich Aloys Praeger (1783-1854)- Ferdinand's father, according to Baker's, pp.720-721 of an early edition.)

eschiss1

Ah. Thanks, Cypressdome... it seems Buffalo already had some of those scores digitized?- anyhow, some are now mirrored @ IMSLP...