News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Atterberg Requiem

Started by John Hudock, Monday 08 March 2010, 14:36

Previous topic - Next topic

John Hudock

I mentioned to my uncle, an lifetime avid collector, who owns a small classical label and has many contacts in the classical recording industry, that someone here pointed me to an unrecorded requiem by Atterberg and suggested he mention it to Robert von Bahr at BIS who is a longtime friend of his.

Von Bahr said he didn't know the requiem existed but was intrigued, so perhaps there'll be a BIS recording of the Atterberg requiem sometime in the future.

A Nyholm

Atterberg composed his Requiem in 1914, with a text in Swedish by Gustav Schlyter. It is a 20 minute work, and not a requiem in the usual sense. The orchestra includes organ.
A search for Atterberg at http://www.mic.stim.se/ will lead you to a pdf file with the first seven pages of the score, in case that you would like to read it.

See all you Atterberg fans in Helsingborg on Sunday ;)! The fifth symphony will be played by the Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra under Gregor Bühl.

/Anders

John Hudock

I knew it wasn't based on canonical requiem texts. Being a shorter work may make it easier for some enterprising recording company to produce it.

gentile

Hi John,

Thanks a lot for "making the connection". Let us hope that we will a have a recording of Atterberg's Requiem in a not so distant future.