Juraj Stahuljak (1901-1975) Chamber Music

Started by Martin Eastick, Thursday 22 November 2012, 15:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Eastick

I have just managed to obtain from cantus.hr, a copy of the 2CD set of chamber music by this Croatian composer. Although this is probably not exactly a new release, it has taken several unsuccesful attempts to order until at last I have the item in question in my hand! Although his dates may seem a little late for this forum, I can assure that these two generously-filled CD's contain only music which would find approval here!

The main work(s) here are a trilogy - Op14 - composed as a memorial tribute to his brother Vlatko, who died in 1930, and consist of (1) a piano quintet, (2) cello sonata & (3) a mixed set of pieces for piano solo interspersed with 3 further items for piano quintet. The rest of the anthology consists of the second string quartet Op15 and a piano trio Op7 entitled "Romantic".

So far I have only managed to listen in any detail to the piano quintet, which dates from 1928-1932, but is essentially late romantic with much folk-inspired content - the slow movement in particular I found made an impression! Overall the recording quality is perhaps not up to the highest standard but is more than adequate.

Alan Howe

Very interesting, as ever, Martin. Thank you!

petershott@btinternet.com

Interesting - and thanks for the post, Martin, for I've never encountered the name and would otherwise have been unaware of the music.

I do hope you'll be kind enough to provide a fuller sketch of the music once you've explored it. I'm happy enough with an "adequate" recording if the music is good. And, pah!, if the Piano Trio is entitled 'Romantic' then I'm sure the music is worthy of a treatment on this site!