CPO Holbrooke recordings

Started by Gareth Vaughan, Wednesday 21 November 2012, 22:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

It is now confirmed that CPO will record in January: The Grasshopper VC with Judith Ingolfsson; The Raven & The Variations on "Auld Lang Syne". The orchestra will be the Brandenburgisches Staatsorchester, under Howard Griffiths.
Although the 3rd Symphony "Ships" was under serious consideration, Howard was unhappy with the music, feeling (so I am told) that it was too much like Havergal Brian (a composer of whom he is not fond). This is a pity, but perhaps another company (like Dutton) could be persuaded to do it.
There is still talk of joining forces with a Berlin choir to set down Queen Mab and The Bells, but nothing concrete as yet.

Alan Howe

Mark Thomas

The Violin Concerto is in safe hands, Gareth. I saw Ingolfsson (but shouldn't it be Ingolfsdóttir?) play Raff's Second Violin Concerto about eight years ago and she made a wonderfully impassioned job of it.

JeremyMHolmes

Great news, but then how many years will CPO keep the recording in its vaults before it is released?  ::)

Gareth Vaughan

Ah, I don't know. But they released the last Holbrooke quite promptly.

As to "Ingolfsdóttir".. ah, yes... well... hmmm !?! Probably.

obermann

Good news indeed...

Regarding Griffiths feelings about the music am I the only one who wishes that we might more often see the comments of the performers as part of the sleeve notes? With unsung composers the biographical and musical background is always essential but I sometimes think it would be wonderful to hear how the performer sees the music. Some might say 'the music should speak for itself' and I understand this viewpoint, but it would also be interesting to hear what Howard Griffiths thinks are the merits of Holbrooke. Not everybody can be Graham Johnson but I am sure what they have to say would be worthwhile.

Mark Thomas

Most musicians whom I've met during various recording sessions are very reluctant to discuss their interpretive decisions or indeed anything other than the technicalities of the music.

Alan Howe

That's true - and hardly surprising. Perhaps what obermann meant was a considered contribution by the performer(s) to sleevenotes usually written by someone specially commissioned to do so.

obermann

Mark

I do understand your point, so perhaps Alan's suggestion is a middle road. But then again, my ears have been opened to many works by the words of the musicians themselves. Perhaps it is just wishful thinking, but I cannot help the nagging thought that knowing why a musician choose to perform unsung music would be interesting.

I should add that I am not suggesting we should replace the commissioned writers - they have their part to play too!

Mark Thomas

Don't misunderstand me, I entirely agree that it would be fascinating to know what performers felt about the music they are playing. I just think that it's a rare musician who can articulate what they feel in a meaningful way.

semloh

I suppose it's a case of letting the music do the talking. Even James Rhodes, of whom I am in awe, eventually has to simply play the music in order to make his point. As to Holbrooke, another CD of his work is always very welcome indeed. Problem is, Santa's sack is already overflowing.....  ;D