Charles Koechlin (1867-1950)

Started by Balapoel, Monday 03 December 2012, 19:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Balapoel

Since I have received a (tentative) nod from Alan, I will highly recommend Charles Koechlin's works. For some reason, I had neglected this composer, probably after reading the titles of his works, which are suitably French, do not give keys (though the music is largely tonal), and (in some cases) employ novel forms. I am sorry I took so long in exploring Koechlin - I have been amazed at his consistent high quality of writing.

In terms of style, I would place Koechlin as an intermediate between Debussy and Ravel (that is, he encompasses late romanticism and impressionism, but he is thoroughly original). He has more clarity in his compositions than does Debussy (and much better orchestration), but not quite the motivic drive that characterizes some of Ravel's best music (e.g., piano trio in a minor).  I would link Koechlin with Ravel in the adjective 'ethereal'. He is an excellent orchestrator and he employs a wonderful melodic sense.

His style did not really change through his long composing life (to my ears), and he was not a follower of musical trends. His works are, for the most part, lyrical and to some extent melancholic - but with a more philosophical bent (similar to Ravel). There is drama, to be sure, but many pieces unfold quietly (somewhat similar to Gade). The only downside I have seen is the slow unfolding of structure. He does not write in a compact way, and some might not appreciate the rhapsodic structures, but they are there, and they flow organically.

He is equally excellent in his chamber and orchestral music. His choral writing is quite compelling too. My favorite pieces so far are his 20 chansons bretonnes for cello and piano, his string quartets (1913, 1915, 1921), Ballade for piano and orchestra (1919), his works for ondes martinot (thoroughly romantic in character), his symphonic poems, particularly the ones relating to le Livre de la Jungle (opp 95, 159, 175, 176), and his piano sonatines.

In sum, one of my major discoveries in the past several years of music research, along with Rontgen. What do others think?

Alan Howe

I've never been convinced, but now may be the time for a re-evaluation...

Balapoel

Another thing that turned me off to even trying Koechlin was the wikipedia article on him, particularly this part:

He wrote in several styles, sometimes severe Baroque counterpoint, as in the fugue that opens his Second Symphony (unrecorded as of 2005), sometimes "impressionistically" as in the tone poem Au Loin, or, as in the Symphony No.2's scherzo, yet more astringently. He could go from extreme simplicity to extreme complexity of texture and harmony from work to work, or within the same work. Some of his most characteristic effects come from a very static treatment of harmony, savouring the effect of, for instance, a stacked-up series of fifths through the whole gamut of the instruments. His melodies are often long, asymmetrical and wide-ranging in tessitura.

It makes it appear like he is interested in gimmicks. I do not characterize his works in this way at all. He is well versed in traditional methods (e.g., fugue), and he has (at times) elements of the neoclassical, but moreso late romantic and impressionism, and certainly not the baroque. I would suggest his pieces grow organically in a contemplative way, not showy or geared to produce effect. Actually, I would characterize his music not as an eclectic mix of styles, but indeed one style, that is unmistakably Koechlin.

jerfilm

I'm with Alan.  I don't find his music terribly pleasing.  But I'll take another look.

Jerry

Richergar

The only piece I have real familiarity with is the orchestral suite based on movie stars (I'm blanking on the name of it, though I have it on black disc) and I have never really appreciated any charms. Any specific recommendations would be more than welcome.

Balapoel

I would not start with the symphonies - see my earlier posts for some recommendations.

semloh

Quote from: Richergar on Tuesday 04 December 2012, 00:06
The only piece I have real familiarity with is the orchestral suite based on movie stars (I'm blanking on the name of it, though I have it on black disc) and I have never really appreciated any charms. ......

Yes, I bought that CD (RCA, The Seven Stars Symphony; 4 Interludes; L'Andalouse dans Barcelone) years ago - it sounded so promising, but it transpired to be an example of what I referred to on the thread about reviews, namely the reviewer raves about it and I find it dreary and uninspired! In case he was just having an off-day, I then bought the double CD The Jungle Book, but that was no better to my ears. The discs sit on my shelf, gathering dust!  ;D

petershott@btinternet.com

I've had much the same experience. I always feel uncomfortable in deciding upon a 'down' for a composer (I always feel that maybe I haven't got ears to appreciate a piece, but then life is too short to persevere with things that the heart isn't really into.) However all the Koechlin discs on my shelves rather gather dust. Having heard them when I first acquired them I never feel any compelling desire to explore them further. Maybe the only exception to that are some of the orchestral songs - but then there are many other far more interesting orchestral songs by other composers. Alas, poor Koechlin.

Edward

Quote from: semloh on Tuesday 04 December 2012, 08:19
Quote from: Richergar on Tuesday 04 December 2012, 00:06
The only piece I have real familiarity with is the orchestral suite based on movie stars (I'm blanking on the name of it, though I have it on black disc) and I have never really appreciated any charms. ......

Yes, I bought that CD (RCA, The Seven Stars Symphony; 4 Interludes; L'Andalouse dans Barcelone) years ago - it sounded so promising, but it transpired to be an example of what I referred to on the thread about reviews, namely the reviewer raves about it and I find it dreary and uninspired! In case he was just having an off-day, I then bought the double CD The Jungle Book, but that was no better to my ears. The discs sit on my shelf, gathering dust!  ;D

Like Richergar, I too bought a record of "Seven Stars Symphony" in the 1980s after hearing a movement on the radio, but was unimpressed overall.   I am listening to works posted with slideshows on Youtube, and feel that most of the works...  One  sounds like the next.  Pleasant, but seemingly in a style that make me think he is sort of an ambient music composer before his time...  Vers la voûte étoilée (To The Starry Vault),  Le Buisson Ardent (The Burning Bush),  and Vers Ispahan (Toward Ispahan) - These as an example, seem to be invoking his own imagery - They are  are pleasant, restful almost, but seemingly formulaic, and I guess that formulaic nature is what might give them an air of seeming uninspired.

DennisS

I have now listened twice to Lettres Persanes this morning, having a particular interest in exotic sounding music. The first time of listening, I was unimpressed, the music was rather monotonous and not particularly exotic sounding. The second time, I listened a lot more intently and the music seemed a little more appealing but only a little. I believe that Koechlin's music probably repays careful listening.  I can see why it has been said that Koechlin draws some of his inspiration from Debussy and Ravel but the level of inspiration is way more inferior to my ears. I feel that the music is on the whole a little samey, but pleasant enough to justify an occasional listen. I do not however feel the need to purchase any more works by Koechlin.