Stradal transcriptions of Wagner

Started by petershott@btinternet.com, Thursday 06 December 2012, 11:28

Previous topic - Next topic

petershott@btinternet.com

Wagner is plentifully sung, but August Stradal isn't, so hopefully this post is within the bounds of the permissible.

I've just been browsing through the Toccata website and noticed, last in the list of items "In Preparation", what is referred to as 'Volume 1' of some transcriptions of Wagner by Stradal.

Anyone know them, or even attempted to play them? Out of the large number of transcriptions of Wagner for piano, I don't think I've ever come across those by Stradal. I guess they are fiendishly difficult?

The disc will certainly be a compulsory acquisition for me in future months. Since it appears on the Toccata website, and has been allocated a number, I guess the project is reasonably well down the pipeline. Hope so anyway!

I found the Toccata disc of Stradal Liszt transcriptions truly amazing. (But, come on, Toccata - that was also announced as 'Volume 1', and that was two years ago. Fingers crossed we'll be treated to a Volume 2 one day.)

Jonathan

Also a definate purchase for me too!
I wrote a review of the Liszt volume 1 for the Liszt Society as I was very impressed - I am still waiting for volume 2 and did email someone at Toccata asking if there was any news.  I never had a response.
Agreed, if it is a difficult as the music on the Liszt CD (some I which I have tried to play myself) it should be well worth a listen!  I'll have a look at IMSLP later and see if I can turn up anything of interest.

Jonathan

Well, I had a quick look on IMSLP yesterday and there is actually very little in the way of Wagner transcribed by Stradal.  This makes the CD even more interesting...

eschiss1

noticed that a couple may not have been properly entered into the Stradal IMSLP category(ies) using the appropriate templates, but anyway, I think the Wagner/Stradal and Wagner/Liszt edited by Stradal that we actually have uploaded and on separate pages are now there...

eschiss1

Hrm. Stradal's arranging "targets' extended fairly widely, making me hope he did have something of an imprint, I guess. And one of my favorite works, Beethoven's C# minor quartet, was published in 1921 in a solo piano arrangement by him; won't show up in the Toccata edition, of course, but...

Jonathan

Hi All,
Toccata have now recorded a volume 2 of the Stradal Wagner transcriptions, it seems to be comprised of free fantasies on various works by Wagner.  Details are here:

http://www.toccataclassics.com/cddetail.php?CN=TOCC0192

My copy has already been ordered as the release date is early next month!  :)

Jonathan

And it arrived yesterday and I had a listen this morning.  Phenomenal.  Buy it!!