Eduard Nápravník - Dubrovsky (1960) Abridged & Composite Versions, English subs

Started by Nervous Gentleman, Thursday 13 December 2012, 19:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Nervous Gentleman

Eduard Nápravník - Dubrovsky (1960) Abridged, English, Russian and German subtitles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX3Q1F4-Qo4

Eduard Nápravník (1839-1916)
"Dubrovsky"
Opera in 4 acts, 5 scenes. Op. 58
Libretto by Modest Tchaikovsky (based on an unfinished novel by Alexander Pushkin).

Andrey Dubrovsky - Georgy Dudarev
Vladimir, his son - Sergei Lemeshev
Troekurov - Alexei Ivanov
Masha, his daughter - Vera Kudryavtseva
Prince Vereisky - Pavel Mokeev
Superintendent - Mikhail Tyuremnov
Assessor - Vladimir Popov
Desforges - Nikolai Timchenko
Shabashkin - Roman Krasnoyurchenko
Yegorovna - Anna Vassilieva
Arkhip - Evgeny Korneev
Grishka - Ivan Zorin
Anton - Leonid Boldin
Tanya - Ruslana Oreshkina

Choir and Orchestra of the Moscow Academic Musical Theatre
Conductor - Peter Slavinsky

This is the original telefilm, with custom English subtitles, of an abridged version of the opera (so far as is known, this is the first time that this opera has ever been translated in English).

It is directed by Vitaly Golovin, who earlier in the same year directed a condensed version of Anton Rubinstein's "The Demon," also with Sergei Lemeshev and available here (with custom English subtitles):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX9CU8bQKuI.

Subtitle Credits:

Translated from the Russian by Andrew Zavodskikh, Andrei Lozinski and Paul Greif.

The French text in Act III was translated by Natalie Greenly.

Subtitle timings by Paul Greif.

The spoken credits were translated by Philipp Reznikov (http://sub-opera.narod.ru/), who also subtitled the extracts from Pushkin's original narrative (substituting the equivalent lines in English from the translation by T. Keane, first published in 1894).

The Russian subtitles (forthcoming) were transcribed by me from the vocal score published in 1972 and were proofread by Andrew.

The German subtitles (forthcoming) are transcribed verbatim from a German/Russian vocal score published in 1902.

To view subtitles, click "CC" on bottom right of player. I recommend you use the most updated version of Google Chrome.

Upcoming Composite Version:

The cuts to the score come "fast and furious" in the original telefilm. Consequently, this abridged version of "Dubrovsky" will soon be followed by a special composite version of the same video, but with as much of the excised music reinstated as possible and fully subtitled in English and Russian. The composite incorporates all of the remaining music from the 1960 recording sessions that served as the basis for the telefilm, as well as additions from two other recordings (the only other recordings of the entire opera in circulation): the 1949 studio recording with Ivan Kozlovsky and a 1966 live recording with Vladimir Kravtsov. These restored sections of music will be accompanied either by still photos from the telefilm or footage from the classic 1935 non-opera Soviet film version of Pushkin's original story (the original telefilm already contains numerous excerpts from this film), as well as other Russian films from the period.

The purpose of the composite is to create as complete a video presentation of the opera as possible, fully subtitled in English, Russian, German, etc. (if anyone would like to volunteer to translate the subtitles into a language of your choice, please contact me). There were, however, numerous cuts to the score (some amounting to many pages) in all of the sources listed above and for which no recording could be located. It is probable that these sections have never been recorded at all. These missing sections will be noted in the subtitles.

Despite the absence of these sections, the composite is still about 55 minutes longer than the original, abridged version presented here.

Edward

In case anyone is interested, Librettist Modeste Tchaikovsky is composer Piotr's younger brother...

mikehopf

Thanks for this, Paul! Great stuff!

Please, could you upload the composite version when it is completed via Mediafire or Rapidshare?

Nervous Gentleman

Hey, thanks for the message!  I appreciate it.  I get an email whenever someone responds to this thread, which is how I responded so quickly.

Yes, my plan all along was to create a DVD containing BOTH the original, abridged version and the composite.  The English and Russian subtitles for the composite are complete.  It took us a whole year, during the course of which I exchanged nearly 1000 emails with my Russian friend Andrew!  I wanted the translation to be as accurate as possible and hounded him with a million questions.  All that is remaining is for me to finish the video editing, so that the composite is watchable.  But the main emphasis was getting the translation right and the audio editing as smooth as can be.

I'll be posting the disc at Mediafire, diced into 200 MB parts via winrar (as you know, I used to have some of my other custom-subbed opera videos there, but I have since taken most of them down). 

Of course, Mike knows this already; but for anyone else reading these words, these are "fan-projects," and are distributed gratis.   :)

I've started posting some of the finished projects to YouTube, and I currently have no less than 10 different subtitle projects (all of operas not commercially available on DVD) in various stages of completion.  A few of these are being translated into English for the very first time, in collaboration with various internet acquaintances around the globe.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCINvl6FrNmN-zIsjtIAOc7w/videos?flow=grid&view=0

Alan Howe

Richergar

Yes, terrific. I have the Dubrovsky on cd but wasn't aware that two versions were available.

Also many thanks for the site. I see there is a video of Mathis and since I am seeing that in about a week I want to try to capture it for me iphone in preparation.

All best

Nervous Gentleman

Yeah, I subtitled that poor quality video of "Mathis" a couple of years ago.  As the original contained large Spanish hard-subs (subtitles burnt into the image) I made the questionable decision to try to cover them as best I could with the English placed within an ugly black border, compounding the ugliness with oversized text.   

Trying to read English subs with another language visible underneath struck me as very distracting, which is why I opted for the border.  Still,  I don't think I would do that now...   

Hopefully a better quality copy of the original video will surface.  Then again, the performance cut almost the entire 6th tableau, if I'm not mistaken. 

I wish I could locate a video of one of the more recent stagings.  Better still, perhaps one will eventually be released on DVD (preferably without excessive regie antics).