News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Your Discovery of the Year

Started by Alan Howe, Thursday 20 December 2012, 19:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Richergar

Without trying to be twee or 'cute', I will join a few others here and say the discovery of the year has been this group! Many thanks to Alan and everyone else.

Richard

Alan Howe

I'm sure we appreciate the high level of debate which has been the result of new members joining UC. Keep the contributions coming!

petershott@btinternet.com

Crikey.... makes it sound as if the older members seriously let the side down!!

And congratulations on your 4000th post, Alan. That's a case for another crikey!

Alan Howe

It's the mix of senior and newer members that makes for such good debate, I'm sure. (Thinks: hope that's sufficient to satisfy everyone... ;) ;)!!)

As for my posts - well, I'm still over 200 behind the indefatigable, nay indomitable and irrepressible Eric!

semloh

Yes, congratulations, Alan! My apologies for missing that momentous milestone, which is testimony to your commitment to giving the unsung composers, whether great or forgettable, a fair hearing. Like so many others, I continue to benefit enormously from your knowledge and erudition. Thank you.  :)

Alan Howe

I'm flattered. But I just rely on my ears and whatever experience I have gained. There are others on this forum far more knowledgeable than me, I'm sure.

musiclover

My discovery of last year has to be the beautiful Symphony in C Minor by Blumenfeld on Dutton. Simply wonderful and the Catoire isn't bad either, but as I want to choose only one work it has to be the Blumenfeld. I will probably wear the CD out and everyone in my house will be fed up with the piece soon!

eschiss1

Based on a no longer available recording of that same symphony, I sympathize- it's lovely and _really_ memorable (I think).

semloh

Quote from: eschiss1 on Monday 07 January 2013, 22:08
Based on a no longer available recording of that same symphony, I sympathize- it's lovely and _really_ memorable (I think).

Totally in accord. It is a beautiful work, and I hope nobody takes offence if I say that it reminds me at times of certain classic Hollywood film scores, which many regard as the ultimate in what the ABC here in Australia calls "swoon"!  ;D