Unusual Draeseke realisation by Steve

Started by britishcomposer, Thursday 27 December 2012, 23:36

Previous topic - Next topic

britishcomposer

eschiss1

forgot to but mean to listen to that myself, especially since I've been wanting to hear that piece in _some_ form or other ever since finding/skimming (not, I admit, really going over, but still...) the recent(ish) reprint (of Draeseke's, not of an arrangement :) ) when I saw it at the university library some years back.   Will download it soon (one can play or shift-click-open-in-new-window-save-etc. - with a bit of initial trouble and trial-and-error - audio files on IMSLP.)

Eric

matesic

I'm not entirely sure how to describe them and Google's translation of the Foreword didn't help, but it's clear what you're supposed to do - 6 short pieces for piano four hands with the 2 players playing the same notes 2 bars apart in treble vs. bass clef, making canon at the 12th. Since only 2 notes go below the compass of a cello I thought they might sound interesting on strings. I recorded the bass lines an octave higher on viola(s) making canon at the 5th, which sounded less artificial so I may post it on Mediafire. I'm sure JSBach would have applauded his ingenuity, and they even work pretty well as music.

matesic

Here, as threatened, the set of 6 Canonic Puzzles rendered at the 5th:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yszzwrh9r4jox6n

The March is a bit of a shambles but the rest seems to work OK