News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Unsung...Schumann?

Started by mbhaub, Monday 07 January 2013, 02:26

Previous topic - Next topic

jerfilm

Thanks, Balapoel.   This is all very strange.  When I went to the website you posted, I get the disc version, out of stock and a price of $40.47!   Are you outside the USA?

Jerry

Balapoel

I'm in the US. Just look at that website. The price is $40.47, but out of stock. Below, you can see 4 new from $23.77 and 1 used from $72.53. Click on the '4 new' and it will take you to a 3rd party seller within Amazon. If you haven't purchased from 3rd parties, you should. It is very safe, and often much cheaper than Amazon proper.

BerlinExpat

Das Gluck von Edenhall, Op. 143 has been recorded and is available on the EMI set of Great Choral Works - set no. 50999 6 31520 2 9. (9 CDs at a highly acceptable price.)

Not included is Das Neujahrslied, Op. 144, which I can't find a current recording of. If anyone is interested I can upload a radio broadcast with the Kölner Rundfunkchor und Orchester from the 1990s.

Balapoel

Quote from: BerlinExpat on Tuesday 19 February 2013, 22:25
Not included is Das Neujahrslied, Op. 144, which I can't find a current recording of. If anyone is interested I can upload a radio broadcast with the Kölner Rundfunkchor und Orchester from the 1990s.

I would be interested for one.

kolaboy

Mark Thomas

Thanks for the upload, Colin.

jerfilm

Thanks again, Balapoel.  Not sure how I missed that - I've been a big Amazon customer for years.  I guess cuz I was looking only for a download.  guess i'd just best buy the discs this round.....

Jerry

Balapoel

A bit off topic, but relevant here:
If the costs are relatively the same (mp3 or cd), definitely go with CD. The quality of Amazon mp3s (256kbps, which are lossy/compressed) is not nearly as good as CDs. You can rip at higher quality mp3s or non-compressed forms (like flac). You will be able to tell the difference on a decent stereo, but for ipods, etc., you probably won't. Interesting link here (who comes to a different conclusion):
http://www.lincomatic.com/mp3/mp3quality.html
and another
http://archive.arstechnica.com/wankerdesk/1q00/mp3/mp3-1.html

Just my $0.02.

petershott@btinternet.com

I'd like to join others in offering heartfelt thanks to Balapoel for notifying us of this set. My copy arrived only this morning - so far too soon to offer any real comment.

But, gosh, what a fascinating set! For starters I spent two hours carefully reading the extensive detailed booklet by Lev Vinocour himself, and then chasing up references. The booklet alone is worth the cost of the set. For example, I found the treatment of Schumann by Wolfgang Boetticher in the Nazi years an absolute eye-opener.

I'm also rather kicking myself for having ignored this set since its release (in 2010?). I suppose I carelessly read 'Complete Works for Piano and Orchestra' and immediately thought 'ah yes, another compendium' without actually bothering to think of what works could be included in a set of THREE CDs. The A minor Concerto obviously...stretching the brain a bit, the Op. 134 Concert-Allegro .....these might fill 1 CD. What could be on the remaining 2 CDs? Carelessly I never bothered to think! Balapoel, in his earlier post, gives a clear and succinct summary of the whole contents, and an indication of their origins. But with reconstructions and alternative versions of such things as the familiar Op 86 Konzertstuck for 4 Horns what we've really got here is 2 CDs of hitherto unknown Schumann. Maybe of primary interest to historians and Schumann diehards, but nonetheless a fascinating set and I'm really glad to have got hold of it.

True, the orchestra isn't quite the Berlin Philharmonic, and the recordings perhaps favour the piano. But those considerations I believe don't matter a jot. Schumann himself couldn't have imagined these works being played by a contemporary crack orchestra - that surely would have been beyond his comprehension.

So, huge thanks Balapoel.

jerfilm

Just one further comment about downloads.  When I was 30 and had the hefty stereo system with all components and the latest speakers, I would never have gone for the MP3 downloads.  But honestly, at 77, I can't hear the difference anymore.  And my eyes are such that I can't possibly read the booklets.  Good news is that now many downloads INCLUDE the booklet in pdg format and I can blow that up on the PC and actually READ it...... 8) 8) 8)

jerry

Alan Howe

jerfilm

Something like that -  similar to pdf only better...... :P :P

incidentally I did get this ordered at US$24 but estimated shipping is a month off..... >:( >:(

Jerry

EdwardHan

Another Schumann work which I can't find any commercial Recording is Adventlied Op. 71, although a choral piece, though there is a video on Youtube.

eschiss1

hrm... only recording listed by Allmusic is one of the movements (2. Schmetterling), but not the whole work, as sung by Elly Ameling...