Naxos 2013 Futures - Italian Unsungs

Started by jasthill, Friday 11 January 2013, 02:18

Previous topic - Next topic

jasthill

Noticed in the 2013 Naxos catalog today.

CATALANI:   Ero   e Leandro • Scherzo •  Andantino • Contemplazione
GHEDINI:  Architetture • Contrappunti • Marinaresca e baccanale
MERCADANTE: Omaggio a Bellini (Fantasia a grand'orchestra) • Sinfonia caratteristica   sopra i più graziosi motivi napoletani • Concerto B flat major
MANCINELLI: Scene veneziane • 6 Intermezzi sinfonici per la tragedia Cleopatra (excerpts)

Rome SO / Francesco La Vecchia

TerraEpon

Mercadante concerto for /what/? I already have two recordings of it if it's for clarinet, Op. 101...

alberto

I assure friends of the forum that Ghedini's "Architetture" could appear a magnificent work....but in neo-classical style.
Less good IMHO, but interesting, "Marinaresca e Baccanale", earlier and looking backwards (there is a live recording with de Sabata and the VPO in dreadful sound).
On paper very interesting for me the Mancinelli , which unfortunately doesn't comprise the "Ouverture Romantica" (commissioned by the London Philharmonic Society): I own a Bongiovanni Cd with the Overture and the Cleopatra incidental music. The performances were modest; much worse the Cd was, through the years, affected by a virus and no longer listenable; I found a second, new one, again affected by a virus.   

eschiss1

btw, a couple of incipits from the Luigi Mancinelli (1848-1921) Venetian Scenes, dedicated to the Madrid concert society, can be found here :)