Mirecki: Symphony in C minor

Started by Mark Thomas, Saturday 19 January 2013, 09:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Thanks, Mike, for the upload of this virile early romantic piece. For those that want such things, its full details are:

Franciszek MIRECKI (1791-1862)

Symphony in C minor (1850)
I. Allegro vivace con brio
II. Adagio non tanto
III. Scherzo: Vivo assai
IV. Ultimo tempo. Vivace molto
Polska Orkiestra Radiowa conducted by Bogdan Oledzki

It's well worth a listen....

Alan Howe

Immensely enjoyable, but far too long. Thanks for the upload, Mike, and for the details, Mark.

JimL

I'm downloading it even as I'm typing.  I hope the announcement of the performers turns out to be comprehensible.

eschiss1

Mark added a very brief list of the performers right up there... *pointpoint* Though I haven't downloaded it yet and it's possible they list others on the broadcast (any notable soloists, say). I do intend to listen to it soon (we will see, we will, if it is too long, bwah-ha-h.. stop that, Eric. :D )

eschiss1

btw, there are some biographical resources (pl & de Wikipedia for example), and for those who like me like to write a composer's full name in the appropriate box in iTunes (*shrug*...), it seems to have been Franciszek Wincenty Mirecki . (Or perhaps Franz or Francesco, maybe depending on where he was and who was publishing him. Have seen that before...)

Alan Howe

From semloh - moved here:

Mike,

Thank you kindly for this upload. Mirecki is a totally new name to me and this is a most enjoyable, albeit apparently conventional, symphony. Maybe someone who understands Polish could let us know who the excellent performers are, and tell us something of the composer.

After several listenings it will surely attract some discussion... in the meantime I'll head to the books and find out more about Mirecki.  :)

Alan Howe

No doubt you've already found the details (above), Colin.

semloh

Whoops! Thanks, Alan. I didn't see this thread.  Apologies to all concerned. ::)

Thanks for the details re movements and performers, Mark.

Alan Howe

No problem. I've done this myself from time to time and then had to delete the new thread...

eschiss1

The announcer seems to be saying "Adagio non tenuto" for the second movement to me. While I've never seen such an indication I suppose it's possible- did it sound that way to anyone else though?

(Briefly-after-post scriptum: Apparently, it seemed that way to someone else- googling "Adagio non tenuto" the one and only hit is for a download on another site of this very symphony.)

redrobin62

This is the main reason why I like this site. Unknown works such as Mirecki's Symphony in C minor is worth the price of admission alone. I d/l from YouTube then remastered it. Sounds excellent now. Reminds me of Beethoven and Schubert. I'm still waiting for somebody to record and release the 3rd & 4th symphonies of Carl Czerny. Until then this will more than suffice.

eschiss1

Or the "other", very much pre-1st, Czerny symphony (in D major), too (he wrote at least 7, really- unless no.3 or 4 is that D major one revised. No, it's not the obvious answer; it's not at all the same as op.781 in D major, based on the incipits I've seen, etc.

And some of his string quartets, etc., would be nice too!)