Even more Raff on its way from Sterling

Started by Mark Thomas, Wednesday 23 January 2013, 16:21

Previous topic - Next topic

MartinH

That's what I thought for a brief moment - but the thumping doesn't match the tempo, plus I can hear it after the music ends. It's strange - never had something quite like this on a cd.

Mark Thomas

Did you buy your copy from Records International, Martin? I believe that some of the batch which they received were faulty pressings.

Alan Howe

Oh dear. Any idea how we might be sure to get hold of corrected pressings?

Mark Thomas

I believe that stock at retailers was recalled, but I am seeing Bo Hyttner on Monday, and hope to get a definitive answer from him on the problems which have beset this release.

Alan Howe

sdtom

I'm grateful that I received a good copy. As an aside I saw Alan's name mentioned in the footnote and I also read parts of the book Alan and Mark wrote. I thought about ordering the book but no luck with that idea.
Tom

Mark Thomas

sdtom

ordered the biography and the list of his works. Both will be welcome in my collection.
Tom :)

sdtom

https://sdtom.wordpress.com/2015/04/26/overture-to-prometheus-unboundliszt-and-raff/

A most welcome addition to my collection especially the World's End CD. One realizes that Raff was tuned into some of the changes that were beginning to take place and minimalism is the order of the day for this fine work.

Mark Thomas

Thanks for the review, Tom. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed the two CDs. As you a say in the review, Raff's intermezzi from the World's End oratorio point the way that his music was going: much more free form in structure and with leaner textures. You'll hear just the same in the four Shakespeare preludes, although they are much larger works than any of the intermezzi. Did you pick up that the main theme of the first of the two Bernhard von Weimar marches was re-used by Raff 17 years later to be the opening theme of the finale of his Piano Concerto?

sdtom

Yes I did Mark and should probably make an addition in the review. I would wager that most of this forum would already know that but it might encourage others to get bitten by the Raff liking. I saw no point in bringing up the debacle that this release has been infected with. I'm sure that Bo with your suggestions will straighten out what needs to be taken care of. I'm grateful for the release.

Mark Thomas

sdtom

sdtom

the books arrived yesterday. Pretty quick.
Tom

Mark Thomas