York Bown - Complete works for Violin & Piano

Started by obermann, Saturday 26 January 2013, 12:46

Previous topic - Next topic

obermann

For me this will be a must listen/buy! Happy to see Danny Driver following up on his previous Bowen recordings!

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA67991/2&vw=dc

I don't know these works yet - where would people recommend the best place to start is and what other composers works compliment them?

edurban

Lovely.  Everything Bowen wrote for this combination on 2 discs and with world-class players.  Op.112 is already available, of course, in Rupert Luck's version coupled with Bliss and Walford Davies, (a very enjoyable disc,) but the new version is welcome.  I can't resist quoting Luck's comments about Op. 112 in his notes:  "For me...York Bowen's Violin Sonata is imbued...with the russet gold of autumnal nostalgia.  It is an incandescently vibrant celebration of rich experience combined with poignant remembrances of youthful hope and invincibility, and, in this respect, the Sonata is a salutation to human endeavour and achievement."

Oh, and the Bowen Violin Concerto is a cracker.  The Dutton recording with Lorraine McAslan would be hard to beat.  One of my favorite discs.

David