News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

A Night at the Opera

Started by thalbergmad, Tuesday 29 January 2013, 20:31

Previous topic - Next topic

thalbergmad

One of my oldest internet buddies has released a CD which might be of interest to those who like the odd transcription.

Full track listing:

1. Verdi-Martucci Concert Fantasy on La Forza del Destino
2. Bellini-Thalberg A te, o cara
3. Bellini-Wright Fantasy on La Sonnambula
4. Wagner-Liszt "O, du mein holder Abendstern" from Tannhauser
5. Wagner-Liszt Isolde's Liebestod
6. Wright Thalbergiana
7. Verdi-Thalberg Concert Fantasy on La Traviata
8. Bellini-Thalberg Casta diva
9. Meyerbeer-Wright Concert Fantasy on Robert le Diable

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/andrewwright (digital download; physical CD sales are also available)

Also available on iTunes and Spotify.

The Verdi-Martucci is a gem.

Thal

Mark Thomas

Looks (and sounds) like fun, Thal.

thalbergmad

Years ago, I thought this particular art form had had it's day, but with pianists like Katsaris and Volodos playing their own stupendous transcriptions, pianists appear to be getting interested in the romantic transcription again.

Fun it is. The Schumannites will not be impressed.

Thal

arpeggio

Thanks, Thal, for having posted this first time round. I hope I can be forgiven for this thread bump, but seeing as there is some material on the CD which is clearly outwith the mainstream repertoire, including a first commercial recording, perhaps some of you might be interested to know that the CD has just been re-released as "The Operatic Pianist" on the Divine Art label -http://www.divine-art.co.uk/CD/25113info.htm

I'm hoping to do a follow-up album, which will contain other rare/unrecorded material, some time next year.

thalbergmad

Well done old chap, look forward to it.

You might want to hyperlink your link. It is a hanging offence on this forum not to do so.

Thal

arpeggio

Duly noted - thanks. Wasn't planning on the "March to the Scaffold" at point!

eschiss1

We're not all -that- wrathful today, just making a point. :D :D