Schmidt-Kowalski String Sextet No.1

Started by Mark Thomas, Sunday 03 February 2013, 11:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Thank you so much, Mathias, for this upload. I very much look forward to listening to it, but I was saddened to see that Schmidt-Kowalski died on January 5 this year. I have enjoyed greatly almost everything which I have heard of his and it's sad to think that there will be nothing more from his pen.

The movements of the Sextet are:

I. Allegro con brio
II. Scherzo: Allegro molto
III. Finale: Adagio, Quasi recitativo -  Schnell -  Andante  - Adagio - Allegro - Adagio - Andante - Allegro molto - Adagio

Gareth Vaughan

I too am greatly saddened to learn of the death of a composer whose works have given me much pleasure. He cannot have been very old, so his departure is doubly melancholy.

Alan Howe

eschiss1

I agree. (January 5 or January 8? The obituary says January 8...)
(That reminds me and if I may ask, does anyone have movement headings for that piano quartet no.4 of his? I can try harder to find out and hopefully a commercial recording will be along anyway with that information tacked-on, but...)
(Traueranzeigen - 21 June 1949 - 5 January 2013. Got it. 5 January.)

Peter1953

His death comes as a great shock to me. And it is a great loss to the musical world in which Thomas Schmidt-Kowalski had a place of his own. I have always liked his music much and relish the CD featuring his lovely cello concerto, with his personal note and autograph for me.
Thank you Mathias, for uploading the String Sextet.

___

Quite striking: after a first listen to his String Sextet I must say that the mood is rather melancholic.

Mark Thomas

Eric: The movements of the Piano Quartet No.4 are:

I. Allegro con brio
II. Adagio - Allegro scherzando

You can download an exhaustive 115 page catalogue of Schmidt-Kowalski's works up to 2009 (op.115). The Schmidt-Kowalski web site says that he died "after a long illness" and lists no works after Op.115, so maybe the catalogue is complete. It's part of a 300 page doctoral dissertation by Ursula Eisfeld entitled: Thomas Schmidt-Kowalski, ein romantischer Komponist an der Wende zum 21. Jahrhundert.  It's a really valuable survey of his life and works and is available as a PDF here.

eschiss1

I hadn't thought to look for it there (yet?) - should have. Thanks!