Classical music shops

Started by Christopher, Tuesday 05 February 2013, 23:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

Quote from: Wheesht on Thursday 07 February 2013, 06:55
Somehow I must have missed this shop on my previous visits to Hay - I'll try and rectify that next time. Although I usually don't find what I'm looking for in High Street shops, I am more than happy to make discoveries in places that I don't know so well and I for one would be grateful for hints where to go to in Riga, for example.

In Riga there are two good music shops that I can recommend:

Patafons, on 26 Valnu Street

and

UPE on 5 Richard Vagnera Street - http://www.upett.lv

jerfilm

Sure Alan - it's an especially great idea for those who have no problem with keeping a substantial inventory.  More and more vendors are offering both such as the Amazons, CDs Online, Presto there, Classical Archives to name ones that come to mind.

As for having CDs, I just burn a CD as soon as I receive the download.  Jewel cases are cheap.  And label stock is relatively inexpensive.  If there is a disc label included with the download, I print anduse that.  Otherwise, have a template in AudioLabel (a German program) which is easy and fast.

Jerry

Wheesht

Thanks for the two addresses, Christopher. I'll have a look at what the shops have to offer later this year. There may be new discoveries waiting for me...

petershott@btinternet.com

I know nothing of CD shops in Latvia or other - for me - far off places (but wish I did!)

I always pop in to Hancock & Monks in Hay-on-Wye the 3-4 times a year when I'm in Hay (and follow that with a lunch in the Blue Boar!) Jerry Monks is an ex-BBC man of course, and they used to have a business in Bath. The books, as Mark says, are eye-wateringly expensive (but then you get a very good price if you sell to them). Alas, all the CDs in the shop tend to be both dross and expensive. Messrs Hancock and Monks live in a huge lovely house up in the Welsh hills reputed to be generously filled with music books and recordings - all the good stuff appears, not in the shop, but on their website. And frighteningly expensive - I rather wonder who buys it.

More to the point: I don't know if he's still around, for I have (deliberately) not set foot in London for 2 years. But there was a chap operating from a street barrow just up the road from Gramex behind Waterloo station. Hours of business - about 11 to 3, and on 3 or 4 days a week (never on Monday). The barrow would contain up to 200 or so newish CDs, very reasonably priced, all good stuff, and not a whiff of Richard Clayderman in sight. Visits to London used to see me stuffing yet more CDs into my briefcase and skipping up the road in joy.

Gauk

For those up north, I recommend McAlister Matheson Music, 1 Grindlay St, Edinburgh. Although it's not all that conveniently placed for me, I try to make a point of buying from them rather than using Amazon. They have an interesting scheme whereby you can purchase an annual discount card for (I think) £17, which gets you a 10% discount on all purchases. I got mine at the same time as I bought the Liszt piano edition, so it paid for itself in one visit.