Gouvy - Works for two pianos

Started by Peter1953, Saturday 09 February 2013, 21:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

eschiss1

For a moment I thought it was a competitor to the first Gouvy recording I'd known of, the Duo Tal & Groethuysen piano-duet CD (recorded 1992, released not long after), but this disc is, after all, 2-piano music (some of which works are on IMSLP, I see...).

Mark Thomas

I had the same first thought, but they're all première recordings. According to the catalogue recently posted, he composed all his music for two pianos between 1875 and 1879 and this CD has the lot. I've just downloaded it, but haven't listened yet. By the way, and with apologies to Riccardo and the other members of Voces Intimae, if you already have Gouvy's Second and Third Piano Trios and don't want to by their new set just to get the Fourth, a very serviceable account of it by the Trio Werther (on a recording with Godard's First Trio) can be downloaded for just over £3.

eschiss1

Though there is a sort-of-kind-of "recording" of the Divertissement (as a MIDI, by Jos van Roy, whose MIDIs are fairly well done as they go) at IMSLP :).

That seems right- those aren't the dates of publication (they were first published as late as 1886 or so) so I'm guessing their information on date of composition isn't just from the "let's take date of publication and duplicate it and assume no one  will notice until it results in Mendelssohn having composed something in 2012" technique.

jerfilm

You can pick up just the 4th from Voces as an Amazon download as well.  All movements.

Jerry

Mark Thomas

I can't say that I'm too enthusiastic about the Sonata for Two Pianos, a  rather unsubtle piece IMHO, but the Fantaisie on this CD is a great find: Gouvy at his best.

eschiss1

Not quite all premiere recordings, fwiw- the scherzo was recorded in a compilation on CD 15 years ago here. Sorry to be picky :)