Just what you've always wanted...

Started by Alan Howe, Sunday 10 February 2013, 09:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Thomas

Quotethe world's most successful pianist
What's the Noel Coward quote: "Extraordinary how potent cheap music is"?

erato

Please don't scare an unsuspecting viewer withh something like this without a warning in the title, like "strong content within".

obermann

Alan

Surely this thread should be reported to the moderators... I mean to say, Richard Clayderman is most definitely sung! However, his attempts to break into the Tortoise market seem to have failed...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/video/2013/feb/08/tortoise-sex-piano-richard-clayderman-video

Alan Howe

Seems I've opened a veritable can of worms. Unknowingly, of course  ;). But then the CD could be full of unsung music - you just never know...

Mark Thomas

Quotethe CD could be full of unsung music
But probably not unhummed!

mbhaub

I have to accept the stats: he sells a lot of cds, makes lots of money by making a lot of people happy. Like Liberace and Andrea Bocelli, he counts on a particular part of the population to buy his stuff: lonely, middle-aged women who never found the romance and happiness that society promises all young children. And they have a cat. Or cats. I bet that almost no man buys this stuff.

By comparison, I'll bet the followers of this site are 100% men, mostly middle-aged. Funny thing about classical music. The men buy the cds, women prefer the concert hall, but only if well-known, tried and true and tired music is presented. Men won't buy Liberace, Bocelli or Clayderman (or Andre Rieu, ugh!), but we'll go bankrupt buying the complete symphonies of the most obscure composers imaginable.

In the meanwhile, I'll pass on the Clayderman, but treasure my Florence Foster Jenkins and Mrs. Miller disks. ;)

Alan Howe

Quote from: mbhaub on Sunday 10 February 2013, 17:36
Men won't buy...Bocelli

Wot? I've bought a few of his recordings. Well, confession is good for the soul...

thalbergmad

I rather like some of the "popular" pianists. I loved Mrs Mills as a child and still do. Winifred Atwell, Russ Conway and even Liberace entertain me when I fancy something a little light.

However, there is something about this chap that just makes me want to put him up against a wall and machine gun him.

Thal

Mark Thomas

semloh

Alan Howe

Still don't know what's on the CD....

Mark Thomas

1. Spartacus Adagio
2. Les Miserables - Medley
3. Ballade Pour Adeline
4. The Flower Duet
5. West Side Story - Medley
6. Someone Like You
7. Montagues & Capulets
8. Schindler's List
9. Hallelujah
10. Le Onde
11. O Mio Babbino Caro
12. You Raise Me Up
13. Nessun Dorma

No Raff - I'm not buying!  ;D

RoothamRVWFinzi

mbhaub states:

"Men won't buy Liberace, Bocelli or Clayderman (or Andre Rieu, ugh!), but we'll go bankrupt buying the complete symphonies of the most obscure composers imaginable. "

Ah yes, Andre Rieu (the "ugh!" heartily and sincerely seconded), the 'James Last' of the classical music world.  ;)

Now, where did I put my anti-emetics?......................

Alan Howe

Quote from: Mark Thomas on Monday 11 February 2013, 08:09
1. Spartacus Adagio
2. Les Miserables - Medley
3. Ballade Pour Adeline
4. The Flower Duet
5. West Side Story - Medley
6. Someone Like You
7. Montagues & Capulets
8. Schindler's List
9. Hallelujah
10. Le Onde
11. O Mio Babbino Caro
12. You Raise Me Up
13. Nessun Dorma

Yum, yum. Music that's never been near a piano before - and therefore unsung!!!!