Dutton Releases 2013

Started by Gareth Vaughan, Tuesday 12 February 2013, 21:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth Vaughan

A little bird tells me that, apart from the d'Erlanger disk already discussed on this forum (on which, by the way, it is confirmed that Guy Johnston will be the cello soloist in the Ballade and Andante Symphonique), Dutton will shortly release early piano and cello concertos, respectively, by Cyril Scott (edited, and to some extent reconstructed, by Martin Yates) and a disk containing Widor's Cello concerto and 2nd Symphony.

Mark Thomas

Not too excited myself about the Cyril Scott (although I'm sure that many others will be) but the the d'Erlanger and Widor news is very welcome. Well done, Dutton!

Alan Howe

petershott@btinternet.com

Thank you, Gareth, for those intimations from the little bird! The whole series of Dutton Epoch releases over the past couple of years has been of the highest interest (to us at least!) and consistently of a splendid quality in terms of performance and recording. Long may they go on producing such discs.

chill319

QuoteNot too excited myself about the Cyril Scott
If you haven't heard the first symphony lately, may I encourage you to try it. Quite a spirited young man's work, and certainly not diffuse. I'm hoping the early concertos are similar.

Alan Howe

The Widor works seem both to date from 1882 - so they are from his maturity. An intriguing prospect.

musiclover

I can't wait to get my hands on both the Scott disc and the Widor disc. Dutton's last Widor disc was superb I thought (Piano concertos) and even though I bought the same thing from Hyperion I thought Dutton's team were stronger, with much more of a sense of the works being French, not German copies!

ncouton

Widor's 2nd Symphony??? Argh... Too bad for me.  ;)

Alan Howe

It's presumably the orchestral Symphony No.2, Op.54, M. Couton: do you know it?

eschiss1

I don't except from reduced score myself, though I have heard the first symphony (F minor).

Gareth Vaughan

QuoteIt's presumably the orchestral Symphony No.2, Op.54

Yes, it is. Sorry. I should have been more precise.

ncouton

Yep, this symphony was on my list of "never recorded symphonies which could deserve to be".  ::)

eschiss1

It's tangential to this thread, but should not at all mind (in a separate thread then) seeing your opinions as to what would be in such a list, I know I would learn something.

Alan Howe

Well, it'll be interesting to hear the Widor Symphony and judge for ourselves!

ken

You may now pre-order the Dutton D'erlanger, Widor, and Scott discs.  Release date is April 15th.