News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Hermann Zilcher 1881-1948

Started by giles.enders, Wednesday 13 February 2013, 11:41

Previous topic - Next topic

eschiss1

Hrm. Hermann-Zilcher.de has audio samples of various works, a discography, and mentions the B minor concerto but while linking to the YouTube video, gives no commercial appearance etc. that they know of, etc. (I see that the late 5th symphony, one of his very last works I think, is among the works they have brief samples of- neat...)

eschiss1

Listened to the A major violin concerto- trying to put a name to who this piece sometimes reminds me of - maybe Szymanowski's first concerto or something (roughly) similar in general feeling, in the slower portions; at least, there is a very attractive (marginally early-20th-century, though yes, written in 1940) delicacy there. A whole lot to like, appreciate and find involving about this music (same conductor as for that extract of the 5th symphony at their website, I see- someone to watch?...)  Thank you.

jerfilm

Too bad they don't at least make the private recordings available in their entirety......

Justin

Would anyone happen to have the text for the "Marienlieder," Op, 52? None of them have any titles which makes it difficult to track down.

ewk

Had never heard of him – he seems to be a local grand at Würzburg where he was an important figure for the establishment of the Music university and the Mozart festival.

There are some works on YouTube (including 6 of the Marienlieder, @Justin) – I am quite impressed by the duo for violin and Cello of which there is a very fine performance on YouTube.

A Würzburg street is dedicated to him and will be renamed (something that is happening a lot in Germany these times) – he seems to be one of those late romantic German composers whose delightful music is in concurrence with his Nazi sympathism. The allegation is amongst other that he betrayed a family friend to the Gestapo which put the latter into 18 months of "Schutzhaft" ("preventive detention") which often led to KZ internation and thereby death – is his case, fortunately, not.
Those who understand German can read about it here: https://www.sueddeutsche.de/bayern/liste-der-vorwuerfe-hat-es-in-sich-verrat-an-die-gestapo-1.5255020

Rainolf

At the actual Würzburg Mozart Festival, at which its 100th aniversary was celebrated, Music by Zilcher was presented by Lydia Teuscher, soprano, and Amadeus Wiesensee, piano. The concert included works by Zilcher's idol Mozart as well as songs by Carl Orff and Norbert Glanzberg, who were both Zilcher's pupils. The premiere of a work by contemporary composer Wilfried Hiller, a pupil of Orff, completed the programme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4obZom5k0Q&t=3068s

At Youtube you can hear Zilcher playing Mozart's last piano concerto in a recording from 1943, the conductor is Heinz Reinhard Zilcher, Hermann Zilcher's son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfPJ14bXa9k&t=25s

Thank you for the news, ewk! A little correction must be made: The last paragraph of the article says that the decision about a renaming of the Zilcher-Street has still to be made, and that this will take place in autumn. (But reading between the lines I have the impression that it seems clear that Zilcher will be erased from the city map of Würzburg.)

Rainolf

@ Justin, here are the first lines of the Marienlieder:

1. O Maria, meine Liebe
2. Maria ging hinaus zu Zachariä Haus
3. Ach wie so schön, wie hübsch und fein
4. Inmitten der Nacht, die Hirten erwacht
5. Ein Kindlein in der Wiegen
6. Maria die hatte ihr Kind verlorn
7. Als Jesus von seiner Mutter ging
8. Maria hört ein Hämmerlein klingen
9. Maria unter dem Kreuze stund
10. Laßt uns erfreuen herzlich sehr
11. Höchste Herrscherin der Welt

Justin

Wonderful, Rainolf! I should be able to find the entire poems online using the first lines.

Thank you very much. These are lovely songs.