Schumann G min Scherzo

Started by Richard Moss, Friday 22 February 2013, 10:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Moss

Is this the 'Zwickau' work or, as you suggest, part of the 'lost' C min Symphony.  Will dig out the former for a comparative listen.  If it is the latter, does anyone have any further information on this?

Many tks for the upload and a chance to listen

Best wishes

Richard

kolaboy

From Records International:
ROBERT SCHUMANN (1810-1856): Scherzo in G Minor from Symphony Fragment in C Minor
During his "symphonic year" of 1841, Schumann made several attempts at a classically-sized symphony in C Minor, the fragments of which he later recycled in works in other genres. Two of them ended up in the Bunte Blätter piano cycle of Op. 99...

The performance DVD is here: http://www.recordsinternational.com/cd.php?cd=10M005

Richard Moss

Thanks for the quick reply and additional info.

Best wishes

Richard

eschiss1

According to an article by Jon Finson in the Journal of Musicology, most of the work on the unfinished symphony in C minor was sketched in a few days, it seems between 23 and 26 September 1841 (sketches in Bonn Library in the folder Schumann 19. 12 pages of full score of the first movement, 13 pages of sketches. This from the first page of the article, I don't have access electronically to the rest but can visit the university library to have a look in person at it (Jon W. Finson
The Journal of Musicology
Vol. 1, No. 4 (Oct., 1982), pp. 395-418.) (online URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/763676.) There may as noted above and probably is more to the story of the scherzo in G minor itself.

Richard Moss

Eric,

Thanks for the update on the Scherzo.  I'm not a musicologist or professional reviewer and would not wish to convey that impression that I am.  I'm merely and enthusiastic but uninformed amateur.  I would not wish to cause you any extra journey but if you happen to be at the University in any case and have a chance to obtain further details on the Scherzo (particularly how he came to write it/abandon it), they would be greatly appreciated (Schumann - and specifically Symphony 4 - was the first  'classical'composer I encountered  in my early teens that sparked a life-long interest in classical music).

Best wishes

Richard

eschiss1

the local University's (where I went for my math degree) not far from me, though my mobility's limited today for very minor and temporary health reasons. I do try to get to their library fairly often though.

eschiss1

May have a chance to look at this article today, will try to get over to the library sometime between my 2, 3 appointments (probably between the 2nd of them and library closing time :) ). Maybe can copy it and then jot down important details at leisure.