News:

BEFORE POSTING read our Guidelines.

Main Menu

Alice Mary Smith

Started by petershott@btinternet.com, Tuesday 26 February 2013, 23:14

Previous topic - Next topic

petershott@btinternet.com

A few years ago the London Mozart Players / Howard Shelley recorded (on Chandos) the two symphonies of Smith, and its release was accompanied by some considerable brouhaha about Smith being the first female English composer of a symphony (that particular issue would seem to me to have some slight historical / sociological interest, but little of musical interest).

These symphonies belong to the world of Macfarren and Sterndale Bennett (both of whom taught Smith), and the A minor Symphony of 1876 (written for, but not submitted, a competition at Alexandra Palace) seems to me rather good.

However my issue relates to the chamber music. According to Wiki there are 4 Piano Quartets and 3 String Quartets, and according to the odd things I've read and my own hunches, I suspect that this music is very much worthy of revival. Scores are alleged to reside in the RAM Library. Any views out there?

eschiss1

I don't know. I see that Ian Graham-Jones has edited (arranged, this says...) some of her chamber works, that they have been published by Hildegard (publisher, only named after etc.) and that Sheet Music Plus is charging $34 for her clarinet sonata and $55 for one of her string quartets.

thalbergmad

There is also an Introduction & Allegro for piano and orchestra. A couple of years ago I did get a copy from the RAM and sent it to the Lord Hyperion, but I don't think it was of interest.

Perhaps it is only average.

Thal

eschiss1

hrm- the average of Introduction and Allegro would be ... Moderato?